How do you make chicken salad?

iVillage Member
How do you make chicken salad?
Tue, 12-09-2003 - 9:46am

Dh and I were wondering this last night.

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-09-2003 - 9:54am
Welcome to the board!

I actually made a great turkey salad last week with leftovers from thanksgiving. Chicken salad is made the same way. You can use any parts of the chicken and they can be cooked any way. I always make it with leftovers from chicken from another meal, but you could just boil some chicken parts or breasts.

Then I chop up the meat and add mayonnaise, celery, onion, salt and pepper, and eggs for a simple chicken salad. But you can get creative and add halved grapes, sunflower seeds, orange juice, curry or just about anything to change the flavors a little. But a simple chicken salad is just as good!

cgirl

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-09-2003 - 9:56am
When I make chicken salad, I use just any part of the chicken that I have. Most times, it's leftover from my boiling a whole chicken, so it's both white and dark meat, from any part that isn't fat! lol

I think it's all really a matter of taste. Whatever parts you like to eat regularly are what you will probably like in the salad. Of course, it's also a good think to make with the parts you don't like (say, if you don't like dark meat) because all the other stuff you add in will help it taste better!!

Does that make any sense? Did I answer your question?! LOL

~Carrie

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-09-2003 - 10:05am
Another good way to have chicken salad is to just add the mayo, a chopped apple (I use red delicious) and some chopped walnuts, if you like.

The apple add-in is also good in tuna salad, believe it or not!
iVillage Member
Tue, 12-09-2003 - 10:50am

Okay, call me lazy but I use canned chicken most the time.

BabyFoot.jpg picture by cl-daisy526

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-09-2003 - 4:49pm
Thought I'd add my 2 cents about chicken salad..... I use any and have used all the ways to get your chicken that have been mentioned so far. And I make it basically the same wayS however, I also put in a couple of stalks of fresh celery , cut up small (or ground celery but only a dab)and about a table spoon of brown mustard (but not too spicy and by the way, that's good in ANY salad). Sometime I also put in some sweet (hotdog) relish just for a different taste. Oh and yes bbq'd chicken is good to use too (as long as the chef didn't burn iy ...lol)And one more thing.... nobody has mentioned ..... do not use the skin or any of the fat, etc. nope not good tasting is salad. So, there's my 2 cents worth....or was that 25 cents.... any how.... enjoy.... any of the ways mentioned are delicious (some people use pimento too!)
iVillage Member
Tue, 12-09-2003 - 7:35pm
I am a bit lazy too. I use either packaged chicken-or deli chicken from the store. I like mine spicy so I add pepperonicini's to mine along with some of the juice-celery-mayo-mustard-black pepper-salt. I then add lettuce and tomatoes to a sourdough bread. YUMMY!! I think I will have that for dinner tonight now.

Trish :)

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-09-2003 - 9:15pm
I have had people go on an on about how good my chicken salad is.
TracyPalmPoster.jpg picture by cl-daisy526