OMG! I'm here from work!!!

iVillage Member
OMG! I'm here from work!!!
Tue, 12-09-2003 - 11:23am
Can't stay long...gotta run back to court. Haven't even started picking a jury yet! Can you believe it...it's almost 11:30 (we were supposed to start at 9AM). Such is life.

Kelly

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-09-2003 - 11:35am

WOW....what is this world coming to?(lol)...first they take I-village away, then they slip it back in!(lol)

Kelly...I am a constant juror!(lol)....I kept getting picked for juries so much I had to have my company write a letter telling them I could not do this anymore or I'd lose my job!(lol)....Why do they always want ME????(lol)....I need to start being more opinionated!(lol)

So, do you get to question the juror pool?

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-09-2003 - 5:07pm
Hi Tracy,

Maybe you make a good juror! In Ohio they are picked at random by driver's license number.

I don't get to actually question the jury. I do have a say in who we pick though and I go through the questionnaires and pull people out based on answers to our questions. I don't actually litigate. I represent the hospital that I work for as in-house counsel. But I do assist the lawyer who is trying the case (go through depositions to point out certain things, go through records, etc).

We didn't get to a jury today! Finally got to leave at 4:00 when the judge decided we weren't going to accomplish anything. So, we will be first on the list to get a jury tomorrow. The problem in our county is the judges that do criminal also do civil trials, but criminal trials take precedence over civil because of habeas corpus, so we usually end up sitting around waiting while the criminal trials get first pick for everything.

I'll check in later.

Kelly

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-09-2003 - 9:27pm

Those of us over here in the criminal court world like it that we get to go first ;-)

TracyPalmPoster.jpg picture by cl-daisy526
iVillage Member
Wed, 12-10-2003 - 7:50am
I know the criminal people would like that, but ya know...I paid a doctor almost $3,000 to come in yesterday to testify and guess what...I still have to pay him for that and to come back on Thursday now! And people wonder why it costs so much to try a civil case! If our courts were more efficient (ours here are the slowest in the country - or one of the slowest) it would probably cost at least 33% less to try a civil case! That's quite a bit when your talking paying for experts and lawyers! Yikes! I wonder what this one will cost me! Not to mention my time away from the hospital - geez! I have so much to catch up on already and I was only out of my office for a day!

Tracy, what do you do? Are you a lawyer?

Kelly

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-11-2003 - 7:17am

Kelly,

I had asked you on another post (maybe Monday) what kind of law you practice, but I think it got buried.

TracyPalmPoster.jpg picture by cl-daisy526