Question about leftover chicken

iVillage Member
Question about leftover chicken
Wed, 12-10-2003 - 4:54pm
I'm still fairly new to cooking...

Last night I baked three large chicken breasts. One was more than enough for my husband and me. I have two left. For tonight's dinner I was considering chicken and dumplings (I was going to ask my husband what his mother does to make them; I know she makes her dumplings with Bisquick; I have Jiffy) or chicken soup. (I have two cans of Campbell's Healthy Request Cream of Chicken.)

In addition to the soup, chicken and Jiffy mix, I also have a package of Inn Maid noodles. (When I found them on sale for $.79 and decided to get them with my $.25 coupon that doubled, I figured I could find a use for them.) I'm thinking I could just boil the noodles and add them to the soup. To make "homemade" soup, I was going to make a can or two according to package directions and add extra milk and chicken. (I do that with the Campbell's Cheese and Broccoli Soup--add extra cheese, broccoli and milk to make it "homemade".)

Anyway, I'm going to move this to tomorrow's dinner. Tonight, my husband is on his own. While playing online this afternoon, I realized that I haven't contacted colleges about admissions for next semester. I saw on one school's site that they're having an open house tonight.

Also, I've already cut up the chicken. I still saved the bones, thinking they might be quite useful if I make complete homemade chicken soup.

Thank you for any help you can give me and for putting up with my venting.

Laura

iVillage Member
Wed, 12-10-2003 - 5:48pm

Hi Laura...Welcome!!

Chicken and dumplings is SUch a comfort food!!

iVillage Member
Wed, 12-10-2003 - 6:11pm

Hi Laura... welcome to Quick & Easy!

BabyFoot.jpg picture by cl-daisy526

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-11-2003 - 9:01am
Thanks!

I figure that somewhere inside this almost idiot-savant cook there's a budding gourmet waiting to emerge....

I talked with my mother last night. Just over Thanksgiving she told me I should cook more. Last night she said to just add the chicken to the canned soup. I told her that she and my grandmother inspired me to actually want to cook more. Like I said, I want to experiment more while I'm home so when Im out of the house, I'll know more what I'm doing and will be able to more quickly put things together. (Also, once I start working and going to school, too, my husband will probably help more. God knows I'll start making use of the slow cooker I got 2.5 years ago as a wedding shower gift and haven't used yet.)

Okay. What kind of seasonings? I'm thinking if I should add some (I think my mother uses thyme), I'll have to run to the grocery this morning so I can have the broth simmer this afternoon. I like the idea of chicken and dumplings, but I want to use the bones. (I'm definately my father's daughter and his mother's granddaughter--if it can be used, I'll use it. If I think it can be used, I'll save it. Actually, my father isn't as extreme as me, but I did learn from him. My grandmother grew up during the Depression.)

Anyway, thanks again. I really appreciate it. Between the soup, baking the apple pie (my husband was nice enough to make the filling for it on Monday evening), and cleaning for the in-laws' Saturday visit, I'm gonna be busy today. Darn. I just started a new book this morning...

Laura