Surprise Party...

iVillage Member
Surprise Party...
Wed, 12-17-2003 - 12:24pm
Hello Ladies,

I need all ur input. I am planning an over the hill b-day party for dh. It is not till June. However, I need to know what what you think about what I have planned. It's going to be late June and as you all know summertime, I am thinking a 7 pm time frame. 3, 6 footer subs(1 sub feeds 32-40 people), fruit trays, chips, veggie trays, soda, keg of beer. There is going to be 120 people. I also have birthday cake and ice cream for dessert. I plan to decorate in black in silver. I need to know if menu sounds good and about how many tables I need to rent. I was thinking maybe 8-9 round tables that hold about 6 per table. Most of the men don't sit at parties. I don't know, I am just trying to get things taken care of b/c before you know it, the time will be here. I am thinking about hiring a DJ for about(party 7pm Dj 8pm-10pm) 2 hours. Please ladies, I know it is a long time from now, but I like to get any ideas you may have. I plan to decorate myself. You know, black ballons and one silver one for center pieces held in place w/ frozen (silver) kisses holding them down. Black top coverings. I am not sure what else. I can't think of what else. So help each and every1 of you.

:)Taxi

iVillage Member
Wed, 12-17-2003 - 1:01pm

Boy Taxi...I'd say you've pretty much got it figured out!

The one thing that came to mind when I was reading what you are serving was ... I think I'd add a dish like maybe mostacholli..(that's probably NOT how it's spelled)..you know that tubular pasta with a tomato/ground beef kind of sauce.....

I don't know if it's a regional thing, but almost any time we go to a large gathering, there's a big pot of mostacholli...(lol)

I like the round table idea...I just prefer round tables I guess....

Where are you going to hold this party Taxi?

iVillage Member
Wed, 12-17-2003 - 1:48pm
Tracy,

Thanks for your input. I think your pasta salad sounds great. I have never had it before, but sounds easy enough to make. I know you said, you prefered round tables, same here, however would 8-9 be enough? Remember 120 people at the most. The party is going to be at his grandmother's house. We just need a way to coax him over there. The thing about thinking ahead is to get prices ahead of time so I know how much to save :). You are always so quick w/ a kind word Tracy. Thankyou, you make my morning and afternoons pleasant. You're sweet as well.

iVillage Member
Wed, 12-17-2003 - 2:20pm
Hi Taxi, the party sounds like so much fun! And I think you already have most of your bases covered. I just have a couple of questions/suggestions.

Regarding the menu, I think I agree either a pasta salad or potato salad might be a nice touch. Maybe its just me but I'm thinking the fruit, veggies and chips may be seen as more appetizers/picky stuff and then there really wouldn't be anything for a side dish to go with the subs. Although they are also all perfectly good side dishes - just my 2 cents.

Regarding the tables - do you know they only seat 6 people? It just sounds kind of small to me. They often will hold 8 people..if so, then 9 tables would seat 72 people which would probably be fine. Not everyone will be sitting at the same time, especially if you're having any kids or even young 20's - they'll probably stand around and/or be dancing with the DJ. You may already have done this so please disregard, but make sure when you get pricing information for the tables that it includes chairs (some places do and others its a separate charge). Also, depending on how reliable the weather is you might want to look into the cost for a tent.

Regarding the decorations - I love the balloons!!! The only other thing I've seen done is to give out black armbands for people to wear. You could probably even make them to save money. Now you didn't mention DH's exact age but they also make lollipops that say "30 Sucks" or "40 sucks", if its a big milestone. I think they even make buzzard pinatas if that appeals to you.

Sounds like a lot of fun!! 120 people.....do you have a big family??? Sounds very ambitous for me, lol. I'm sure DH will really enjoy it. As to how to get him there....does anyone in the family have a birthday or any other event near that date that you could tell him there's a party there for that other person? Usually the best way to keep something like this a secret is to get the honoree to think they are going to a party for someone else and tell them its a surprise so they don't talk about it too much. But we can help you with the excuse closer to the date. Also, good for you for getting so much thought about and taken care of so far in advance it will help you feel more in control of the whole party.

Sounds wonderful to me!!!!!

Amy

iVillage Member
Wed, 12-17-2003 - 3:20pm

Hi Taxi... boy, you sure are a good planner!

BabyFoot.jpg picture by cl-daisy526

iVillage Member
Wed, 12-17-2003 - 4:40pm
Amy,

Thanks for your input. The pasta salad that Tracy is in. I knew would probably need something like it. As for the tables, I think you're right. I could probably squeeze in eight at a table. I am planning for an adult party. The only kids that will be families and that is about it. We are each other's babysitters. So there's about 19 in our whole family, as for the rest of the people, I am taking in consideration that they all have spouses/partners in life. So, am sending out about 40 invitations. A tent is a great idea, but am doing the party closer towards the evening. I love your buzzard pinata idea and the suckers. He will be 30. My birthday is actually before his (2 days same year), and we the family get together to celebrate family birthdays at his grandmother's house. So, maybe he can think we're celebrating over there as usual. In the party invites, it states to please help us mourn the passing of David's youth. It also lets partygoers to please dress in black to mark the occasion. I was thinking of making a paper board of picutes of David throughout the years and make the pictures in b&w (black and white).

You lasses are so creative here. I love it!

Amy

Thanks again,

iVillage Member
Wed, 12-17-2003 - 4:51pm
AWWWW Daisy,

Thanks! I really enjoyed your ideas. I will look into the decorations at the link you suggested. Yes, please post any easy recipe for that salad. If you get a chance. I think that will be about the only thing I have to cook. I am not always this good at planning. Girl, I am just for birthdays for Dh and the boys anything else forget it. Everything I have priced seems reasonable, the tables will be lent to me threw my former employer. The subs, I called today are $64./each w/ tax, and as for the chips and that sort of thing, soda, beer keg, and silverware and paper plates and napkins won't be much at costco. The DJ is the pricest thing of the whole thing. The decorations aren't much as you stated. Daisy, Thanks and have a great day.

P/S I am sure you ladies are wonderful wives to your DH as well.

We just love to party. So, why not a big one for the big 3-0...lol