New doc appts today

iVillage Member
New doc appts today
Wed, 05-26-2010 - 9:46am

I am going to a new pdoc today and a new pain management doc. I am so worried if they will be able to help me, or if they are going to treat me like I am stupid and do nothing to help me, no matter what my suggestions are. I know my body for the most part, so I hope they listen and care. I especially need help with my pain and fatigue, so I am mostly counting on the pain doc helping me. Wish me luck!

Hope everyone is doing well.

~ Tina ~

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-26-2010 - 2:27pm
I'm thinking of you and hoping that your appointments are going well.

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-26-2010 - 6:49pm

Thanks Amy,

To Amy and all members:

The pdoc said since I have been on every anti-depressant, the only one left to try is the new one, Pristiq. She also gave me an Rx for Klonopin for my anxiety. I am hoping my insurance will pay for the Pristiq. I am going to try and get it filled tomorrow. She was out of samples. If I have trouble getting it filled, I need to call her back to see if they have samples in yet, or she can get it pre-authorized. I have a feeling I will have a battle to get this med, but hopefully I will not.

The pain doc will not give me any pain meds as far as narcotics are concerned. He needs to get my information from my other docs before making any major decisions on my treatment. However, he is sending me to a neurologist, along with seeing him, to do an assessment on me and give me a sleep test. He thinks I have sleep apnea, which will cause chronic fatigue and contribute to pain. It will take about 6-8 weeks to gather all the info and see this other doc in order for me to get the treatment I need. The doc did confirm that I have fibro, which I already knew. He may do another MRI later on my back.

So, I have no immediate relief. I just have to keep struggling the way I have been until they figure out what they are going to do. I was hoping to get immediate help to get me through summer school. In the mean time, I will keep going to counseling, doing my physical therapy, and trying out the reflexology. My counselor is also doing a hypnotherapy session with me next week, which she has done before and it has done little for me, but I will try again.

The pdoc and the pain doc both said I need to manage my stress better and get better sleep. If I do have sleep apnea then I will not get good sleep until I can get a CPAP machine. And as far as stress management, I am not sure what to do, but I will talk with my counselor about it and see what I can do.

They also said I have had so much trauma the last 5 years, which has contributed to my pain. I guess having 4 people I loved die in that time, deal with the pain, stress, bipolar, school, my daughter's issues, and then losing our home is a lot to deal with.

To be honest, if I do not get more stable soon and find some energy I do not think I will be able to work or finish school. I truly want to, but I have no support and my fiance is little support emotionally. He actually contributes to my emotional stress. So, I feel like I am out of options. I do not know what way to turn.

Sorry so long.

~ Tina ~

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-26-2010 - 8:08pm

Best of luck, Tina.

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-27-2010 - 6:25am

What I am going to do is call my old pain doc and see if I can continue with her. I woke up this morning in such awful pain and last night was hell trying to sleep. This new pain doc did not Rx any pain meds so I do not see why it should be a problem. I will just have to continue the two hour drive to see my old pain doc, but I guess if she will give me narcotics for pain, then it will be worth it. I wanted so bad to not take pain meds, but I actually feel like I am dying in pain without them. Last night I had all kinds of thoughts going through my mind...thinking I was dying of something and no one knows it yet. I cannot function without pain med to relieve the pain. My old pain doc said before if I did not like who I tried, I could come back, so I hope that still stands. She knew I was just trying to find someone closer, but that is not beneficial if they are going to do nothing for me.

I will have my old pain doc do a sleep study on me and work that out with her. Now I have to go to school this morning and to my physical therapist. I do NOT feel like doing either. Driving makes me want to cringe because I am hurting so darn bad. God, I HATE this darn crap. All I want to do is to be able to function, be able to take a shower, do my hair, make-up, drive, go to school, and live without intense pain. Is that too much to ask?

I'll let you all know what happens...Geesh!!

~ Tina ~

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-27-2010 - 9:26am

I think contacting your old doc is a great idea.

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-27-2010 - 2:53pm
Any luck with the Pristiq situation? (((hugs)))

<
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-27-2010 - 4:36pm

I just got it filled today and my insurance actually paid for it. The funny thing was they do not cover benzodiazapams (sp?). I had t pay out of pocket for that, but it was not a lot, so I could handle it.

The doc I seen yesterday was telling me my pain was psychological. I needed time to think about this, though I was offended when he mentioned it. I was so exhausted that I wasn't sure how to act. Today, however, I am really angry about it. But, I am not going back to that quack again anyway.

I see my old pain doc June 1. Lets see what she wants to do. I will let all of you know.

I am exhausted from driving and the heat is way to hot for me.

~ Tina ~