What do you do for ....

iVillage Member
What do you do for ....
Sat, 06-05-2010 - 6:19am

Self-Care????

So many of us, especially women, tend to take care of everyone else and put ourselves at the bottom of the list. What do you do, or what would you like to start doing to provide self-care?

I would like to start a list of self care options, even if you do not do them. You may even get an idea from someone else that you would like to try and add to your self-care tool box.

Thanks for joining in.

~ Tina ~

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-05-2010 - 6:31am

I have just started really focusing on self-care. It seems weird at times, but I am a feeling a little less stressed. My mood is more stable overall.

I have started to meditate by using a couple cd's that focus on cleansing the chakras. This has helped me relax and even has helped me cope a little better with the pain I have. If nothing else, it is helping me to not focus on problems, but on my body, breathing, and staying calm, even if for only 30 minutes out of my day.

I went for a reflexology session yesterday and it was awesome!! It was like having my feet massaged for 45 minutes. Talk about relaxed! I felt like I was walking on a cloud for about 5 minutes after she was done. I cannot afford to keep going back, so she showed me pressure points to work on my own feet to relieve back pain. She also recommended that I get a book to teach myself about reflexology.

I have not been swimming in about 10 years or more. Where I live they have a pool. You know I hate it here, but I thought, I am taking advantage of what they have. I went in the pool 3 times this week and it has helped me feel better. I am sore the next day, but I am sore anyway. While I am in the pool I am having fun for that time and not worrying about school or anything else, not even my pain.

Please tell me what you do to have fun, do self-care, and relax. What would you do if you had the money or the time to do what you wanted for yourself??

~ Tina ~

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-05-2010 - 2:36pm

1. I get a monthly pedi

2. I have certain days that I get to sleep in

3. We eat out 1/2x a week or get take out

4. I go to my hairdresser every 5 weeks

Little things like that plus I make sure I have some "me" time every day. I use that time on the comp, reading, or even doing a puzzle book. What I need to do is exercise again. I used to be good about it but have really slacked off. Not just for health reasons but it makes me feel good mentally and gives me energy. It's the motivation that's the toughie ;)

<
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-07-2010 - 12:39pm

Last week was a tough week for me. I went for a massage, then went for a reflexology session a few days later, which I really needed.

I try to get a manicure and pedicure each month.

My friends and I get together at least once a week to unwind and catch up.

I listen to guided imageries.

When I can, and when there's something interesting, we go to movies or a performance or a concert.

I give myself quiet time when I can.

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-07-2010 - 1:15pm

Things that I already do:

Floss twice a day - usually while watching TV

I take multivitamins daily

I have a really good skin care system going on

I have a hot hot bath at least 4 times a week.

I read....a lot.

Things I want to do:

Quit Smoking

Change my diet

Develop an exercise plan - I've been looking into joining a "Nia" class.

My Signature 

Administrator
Mon, 06-07-2010 - 3:25pm

This is actually a great topic and one that many of us struggle with.

Several years ago an iVillage message board I was a member of started a challenge. All of us on the board were parents to special needs children and like most women, we always put family and others

Karla
Community ModeratoriVillage.com

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-09-2010 - 8:59am

I am glad to see all the good things everyone is doing for self-care. When we take care of ourselves we can offer more to others in a more positive way, and we can enjoy giving more when we feel our needs are cared for. We do not have to always have our needs or care fulfilled from others, but we can take care of ourselves; however, sometimes taking care of ourselves involves asking for help when we need or want it. It is ok to receive help. We do not always need to be super women.

Keep up the great self-care!

~ Tina ~