Lenten Suppers?

iVillage Member
Lenten Suppers?
Wed, 02-25-2004 - 11:28am
Since Ash Wednesday and Lent are here I always have trouble finding what to cook on Fridays. We have the typical mac-n-cheese, grilled cheese & tomato soup, or fish. My husband doesn't like tuna-n-noodle casserole...so I am left with the question...What do I make for supper during Lent that doesn't have meat in it?

If you have any ideas please let me know so I don't get stuck in the same old cycle of making mac and cheese every Friday for supper...Any help is appreciated.

photo PinkUmbrella_zps59410ee1.jpg

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-25-2004 - 12:32pm
Yeah, this is an issue...we usually end up eating McDonald's fish sandwhiches. How about salmon patties? I just bought some canned salmon and am looking for a good recipe...if I find one (or if anyone else has one) I'll post it. My MIL used to make these with a shrimp sauce made from Campbell's cream of shrimp soup! It was so good!

I'm going to start searching around for a good recipe!

Kelly

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-25-2004 - 1:09pm
Hey Kelly, my husband came home from the store with 2 cans of salmon too.. i had no idea what to do with it or even if I wanted to.

BabyFoot.jpg picture by cl-daisy526

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-25-2004 - 1:18pm
How about vegetable soup or a chowder (potato or corn)? Or maybe a vegetable lasagna or even a lasagna with red sauce (just no meat). Or you could have breakfast for dinner once in a while - pancakes or a veggie omelet, hash browns & toast. Pizza with veggie toppings?

Just a few randoms ideas.

Amy

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-25-2004 - 1:20pm
GREAT question!!! I'm not catholic but DSO and his son are, so I have to make accomodating dinners on Fridays. We will sometimes go to a local fish place to eat dinner, but it's always super busy, not to add...expensive! I'm really interested in what others do during this time because like you, I'm very limited and it makes Friday nights not so "fun" in the dinner department.

Jill

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-25-2004 - 2:26pm
Just posted a few different recipes for salmon patties below...they sound pretty basic and you can pretty much add/subtract whatever seasonings you like.

Kelly

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-25-2004 - 4:51pm
We're not Catholic, either, but this is something that we do as well (Lenten meals on Fridays). We've done everything from the ordinary mac-n-cheese and no-meat pizza, to tuna cakes, broiled haddock and shrimp. During this time of year, at least around here, seafood is on the cheaper end of the price ranges -- we don't eat out often, but rather buy from the store and prepare it ourselves.

Also, keep an eye out for churches and fire departments having Friday fish sales - dinner platters and fish sandwiches are very big back around my parents in PA, and I've seen signs popping up around here this year as well ("Fish dinners Friday nights") Most times, these organizations don't charge very much, and the food is phenomenal!!

~Carrie

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-25-2004 - 6:35pm
Interestingly, the church I go to is also attended by the owner of a 4 star seafood restaurant here in Cleveland - he donates his Chef and 2 seafood dishes for Friday Fish Fries during Lent! So we can have a 4-star meal for like $8! It's wonderful!

Kelly

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-26-2004 - 8:29am
I made 3-cheese manicotti last night for supper. It was really good. I will post the recipe today for all to enjoy.

photo PinkUmbrella_zps59410ee1.jpg

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-26-2004 - 9:36am
Hey there and welcome to the board!

BabyFoot.jpg picture by cl-daisy526

Pages