Need an easy Salmon recipe

iVillage Member
Need an easy Salmon recipe
Wed, 02-25-2004 - 6:09pm
Hi There,

I am a new Mom and DH's birthday is coming up. I really want it to be a special occassion as we have been so busy with a newborn. We are short on cash so I want to cook a nice dinner instead of dining out. I have been a vegetarian for 15 years but started eating some fish during pregnancy. DH and I like salmon (also we live in Oregon where the salmon is excellent) but I have no idea how cook fish (or anything with meat). I know it's not that hard but I would like it to taste great! Also a suggestion for salad, bread, or veggie to go with it. We do not have a grill - just a stove and oven with a broiler.

Also is there anything I need to know about how long Salmon keeps before cooking, how to handle, what size/how much to buy? I am a novice!

Thanks,

Tina

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-25-2004 - 6:41pm
Hi Tina

I have a ton of salmon recipes. I will post some of them as soon as I can get back on. DH is home tonight and will be working from home. He is a CPA and right in the middle ot tax season!

Try to purchase your salmon fresh and use it the same day. If not freeze it! You do not want any fishy tasting salmon.

I will post some ideas either tonight or tomorrow. DH and I enjoy salmon and I have some great recipes you can use in the oven - broiler or right in the pan on top of the stove.

Sandy

photo RainyDay_zpsece18f80.jpg

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-25-2004 - 6:51pm
I like salmon grilled, personally, but broiled is a good way to cook it as well. I would NOT fry it or "bake" it. Broiling or grilling is the best way to cook it.

You can buy a good marinade (pretty much any one you might like) and marinade the salmon for a day - and cook it that night.

As far as sides with it...I love rice pilaf and asparagus (with hollandaise sauce of course) with salmon. Steamed broccoli also goes well with it.

HTH

Kelly

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-25-2004 - 7:51pm
I'm back! I have posted a few salmon recipes below in the main meal section. If there is something you do not like let me know. Like I said - I have a ton of salmon recipes and can probably find something you and DH will like.

Sandy

photo RainyDay_zpsece18f80.jpg

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-26-2004 - 8:20am
Hi Tina, welcome to the Q&E Message board!

BabyFoot.jpg picture by cl-daisy526