QOTD for Monday...

iVillage Member
QOTD for Monday...
Mon, 03-01-2004 - 7:21am

If you have read my post on the thread about the Oscar's, you'll know where I got this one.

TracyPalmPoster.jpg picture by cl-daisy526

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-01-2004 - 7:29am

I can't help but think that all the reality shows are staged, or the winner rigged.

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-01-2004 - 8:57am
One year I watched Survivor - I think it was the second season. The only reason I even watched a little of it was because my best friend was always talking about it, and since hubby was deployed and she really was my only source of adult interaction, I began watching just to I could talk with her! LOL It was okay, but I was so amazed at what the people whined about!!

Reality shows, in general, I really don't care for. My own reality is enticing enough that I don't feel a need to bother myself with other peoples problems/concerns/whinings. (Navy wife, SAHM & Special-Needs Mom, loyal friend, Girl Scout leader, baker, writer.....will she make it to her daughter's swim class on time? Will she make it thru 'til the next day without going completely insane?!!)

I have tried in the past. I've sat down and really given these shows - Survivor, Big Brother, the Bachelor, the Real World, etc - a good, honest effort on my part, but I just cannot get past the whining and complaining and bickering that goes on. If I want to see that, I just have to walk into my children's bedroom! LOL

Last season, hubby and I did get into American Idol, but we didn't care for the season before it, and we didn't even realize that this season had already started! The first couple years of The Real World weren't too awfully bad (I was in high school!), but once the "cast" started playing it up more and more for the cameras, the "reality" of the show was entirely gone.

Ok...I rambled on, but did I answer the question?! ;) LOL

~Carrie

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-01-2004 - 9:29am
I don't watch much tv to begin with, but the whole reality show thing has gotten out of control. Some of them are a little cheesy. I did watch the first season of American Idol. Those people actually had talent. We have shows where they are trying to pull off a wedding for a million dollars, we have shows where people mask their face so they can "love them for their personality", we have shows where people eat octupus testicles. They even got ESPN to start there own reality tv. I think it's a little out of control, but I don't watch them anyway. Just my thought...

photo PinkUmbrella_zps59410ee1.jpg

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-01-2004 - 9:42am

Okay... I think you all know by now that i am a SURVIVOR freak!

BabyFoot.jpg picture by cl-daisy526

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-01-2004 - 11:00am
I cannot imagine anyone considering the gross food challenge concept entertaining.
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-01-2004 - 11:30am

Ok, so I'm a freak ;-)

I love reality TV, even though most of it is ridiculous/fixed..whatever.

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-01-2004 - 11:38am
LOL Julie... we'll be freaks together, okay?

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-01-2004 - 1:19pm
I never liked reality shows and never watch them. I wish they would go away. There are so many now I don't even bother turning the tv on except to watch DVDs.

Kelly

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-01-2004 - 2:06pm
You sound like my husband!

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-01-2004 - 2:22pm
I would agree...COPS is definitely a reality show - probably one of the first right? Don't remember when it started. I just never got into them and I think tv has been run over by these shows. I think the reality tv started with The Real World on MTV...never got into that either. I'm rather picky about the shows/movies I watch - I like comedy or Law & Order (LOL! I think that's the only non-comedy tv show I like) - and only the original L&O, none of these faky spin offs! LOL!

BTW - My B-day is St. Patty's day! Not that it will be fun for me this year ;o)

Kelly

Pages