Went to ER-feared heart attack

iVillage Member
Went to ER-feared heart attack
Mon, 07-12-2010 - 12:20pm

I went to the ER on Saturday afternoon. I was having chest pains, shortness of breath, light headed and major exhaustion...all symptoms of a heart attack or heart disease. They did all kinds of test and I HATED the hospital in this new area I am stuck living in. I will travel an hour and a half away next time to a hospital that I know is competent. All blood work came out ok. They did a CT scan to see if I had a blood clot in my lung. I also had a stress tests on Sunday afternoon. That came out ok, but the cardiologist was still concerned because I had chest pain during the test but he did not see anything on the monitor to indicate any trouble. He said sometimes it is muscle pain or with women, sometimes the problem will not show up on the treadmill stress test. I have to make an appointment with this cardiologist in 2 weeks and he will do an echocardiogram. He wants to keep an eye on me because my dad died of a heart attack at 44.

The other thing the nurse told me is that people with autoimmune problems, such as RA, MS and Lupus can have symptoms of a heart attack. But they are also more prone to have a heart attack.

I am still very very tired. I have been on my blood pressure meds for 2 weeks now and I am thinking they are making me fatigued and dizzy. I do see my primary care doc tomorrow and will see what she thinks. Then I see my rheumotogists July 19, next Monday and I will see what testing she wants to do, but I am requesting she test me more for lupus, Lyme's disease, and MS, just to rule them out.

I did not feel I got the proper care while I was in this hospital and I talked to the patient care coordinator and a nurse supervisor while I was there. Every one wanted to pass the buck and blame me. I even had the pt coordinator as me why I did not request IV fluids in the ER while I was there.....WTF????????? I told her she needed to back away from me and that I could not believe she asked me that. I said, how about next time I make a list of all the test I need and ask for those as well and ask for the IV needles and give myself the IV. I told her to get out my face and that I was finished talking to her. This place was a joke. I would not send my worst enemy here...that says a lot from me. While I was on the floor while admitted was even worse. I thought they were going to give me a heart attack, IF, I indeed did not have one.

The cardiologist said, sometimes it can take weeks to see damage from a heart attack or pick up that someone had one. BTW, my blood pressure was good while in there. Blood pressure meds work, but they make me too non-functional and too sick with the fatigue and dizziness, so I cannot take the ones I have. I have been on Bpressure meds since I was 12 because of my bad kidney, so I do not think there are many options of blood pressure meds that will not make me fatigued, but maybe we can find something that will not be so bad. My break from school sucks, but on the other hand, I am not dealing with school work while feeling this bad.

To say the least, I am VERY depressed, angry, and feeling hopeless. Not doing well at all.

~ Tina ~

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-12-2010 - 12:34pm

Yikes!