3 hour MOTN nightmare

iVillage Member
3 hour MOTN nightmare
Thu, 12-01-2011 - 4:21am
I will make this quick, need to sleep. 8 month old DD has started having 3 hour parties in the early morning hours . She nurses on and off for 1.5 hours then gets really close to nursing to sleep a few times and then it's another 1.5 hr ordeal to get her to sleep (with more nursing).
She is less distracted in the day while nursing and she has spit up a little lately so she's probably getting enough. She has one meal per day, self fed finger foods plus water 3oz which she usually sucks back really quickly from a straw cup.
Up until 2 nights ago she would be up 2 or 3 times a night but it was efficient nursing and asleep by the enc of it. Am I doing something to cause this shift in her pattern? All input is highly appreciated. TIA *snore*
iVillage Member
Thu, 12-01-2011 - 6:32am

Lots of things can cause sleep patterns to change in the first year and even beyond. A baby who slept well for a decent length of time can stop doing that.

Developmental things can make the child be lest restful at night. Teething can also cause a baby to be wakeful. If it does not sound like that, it could just be that she is active and busy in the daytime, causing her to nurse less or for shorter periods. You do say she is not distracted during the day. But you could try nursing her a bit more often in the day, and try to keep her interested in a longer session at bedtime. Some babies who nurse less in the day try to make up for it at night. Or is she sick and uncomfortable?

These are a few possibilities. Have a think about them. Some you might be able to try and help, if you think it could be that. Others like developmental milestones - well, it happens and you wait though it.

Teresa

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-01-2011 - 7:36am
Thanks Teresa.

I think it might be the developmental stuff. She started crawling along dragging her belly a few days ago (picture a soldier at boot camp) and she wants to stand all day long (including diaper changes lol). If she is teething it's not much, usually she is a lot more miserable when that's the case. I offer nursing very often (every hour at least between her asking and me offering) during the day and started walking around with toys clipped to my shirt which seems to help with distraction. She went from 30 seconds to 5 to 20 minute daytime sessions so I think she gets a decent amount. Could a growth spurt be happening?
I have a refill of domperidone at the pharmacy that I'm thinking of ordering to help make it easier for her to get the amount of milk she seems to need.
iVillage Member
Thu, 12-01-2011 - 9:18am
I would bet on the motor milestones. My kids always wanted to practice them at 2 a.m. DS cosleeps, but DD was in a crib and I'd always find her standing or in the opposite corner from where I put her. It was like her brain was so wired to start moving that she couldn't turn it off during the night. It usually passed within a week or so -- hope it's shorter for you. : )
iVillage Member
Fri, 12-02-2011 - 9:59am

I totally agree with the 2 pp's assessment of developmental changes at this age, particularly related to gross motor skills.

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-02-2011 - 12:04pm
Thanks everyone for the encouragement. We actually had a great night last night. She went down about 7:45 after half an hour of nursing to sleep, then was up at 11 and 4 to nurse but nursed to sleep both times after about 45 minutes. She was up a little after 7 this morning. The tether thing though is that napping seems to have fallen by the wayside. Do all babies nap? Is it okay if DD doesn't for a while? She wines and rubs her eyes, we try, she fights, then seems to get over it and get a second wind and wants to play. The past couple of days i took her on car rides and she did nap a little but i cant do thst every day. She's sleeping close to 12 hours if you include the nursing sessions where she's half unconscious.