Stitching time...

iVillage Member
Stitching time...
Fri, 12-09-2011 - 4:32pm

Do you set aside a specific time of day or day of the week to stitch? Do you try to get in at least a little stitchery every week, or do you stitch only when the mood (or need) strikes? Approximatley how many hours a week do you "devote" to your needlework?

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-09-2011 - 10:44pm

Generally I try to do at least a little stitching every week, but its kind of as the mood hits me.

Liz

Community Leader
Fri, 12-09-2011 - 11:58pm

Because I am doing

iVillage Member
Sat, 12-10-2011 - 3:48am

Mary Frances - What GCC are you doing?

Liz

iVillage Member
Sat, 12-10-2011 - 11:38am

Mary Frances --- have you noticed there are already messages flying about for Kimono? AAARGH!

iVillage Member
Sat, 12-10-2011 - 11:42am

I tend to stitch after dinner --- usually between 8 and 10 or 10:30 (after 11, I just can't focus on the charts any more)

iVillage Member
Sat, 12-10-2011 - 11:43am

Liz, I can't take my stitchery with me any more --- too much of an issue with visibilty. I need my magnifier and Ott Lite!

Community Leader
Mon, 12-12-2011 - 5:24pm

Liz,

I am doing Star Studded Samplings by Ilse Altherr. There is a way to do this through EGa without being included in a group if you are interested.

My Chapter sells needle indexes, quite successfully I might say, and they used some of the proceeds from that to purchase three GCC

Community Leader
Wed, 12-14-2011 - 2:02am

Carol, Somehow I wasn't in the yahoo group until tonight. Then I got five messages with at least two of them being duplicates! I printed out the intro letter and Getting Started. This is going to be tough. My sister is coming down to see me later this week and we are planning to go to NIAHS.I can start the thread selection. I am going to be gone some during January and even more in February. Can you tell that I am feeling rushed already with 13 stitches to learn in a month plus the outlining. Because of the size of this thing I know that I can't take it with me, which is too bad.

What do you think the two plastic bags are for if all your threads are to fit in one bag?!!

iVillage Member
Wed, 12-14-2011 - 8:01am

I know --- all that info out of the blue and in a vacuum (I really would like to have the book in hand before I decide ANYTHING) has overwhelmed me too. And of course, with all the other stuff I have signed up to do...

That two-plastic-bag thing confused me too! I don't keep my threads in a plastic bag if I can help it --- I try to use one of my "stitching bags" and am hoping that will do. But I can go plastic if he insists.

I see one of the participants plans on attaching her congress cloth to a roller frame? Will that work? I had planned on using some of the frames I used to use when I was doing cfewel (the kind of assemble-it-yourself frames they used to use to stretch canvas)

Community Leader
Wed, 12-14-2011 - 6:57pm

Carol,

I would think that the stretcher bars that you have will work just fine. Unfortunately I am going to have to purchase more. When I put the bars together for my GCC one of the 18 inches split. I use those expensive ones that have a screw in them that you can use to tighten the canvas as needed and it is needed since Abby thinks this is her hammock and she sleeps on it given half a chance. I am going to use congress cloth as the size of the 18 mesh canvas is just too large for me to manage comfortably. I have a frame weight. You could easily make one of those if you don't have one. It is made of fabric and is a tube about 12 inches long and three inches in diameter and is filled with sand, I think, or something that makes it heavy.

I'll check the website later. Sometimes all the messages flying around confuses me! I also wish that he had proof read his instructions before he sent them out. I have some (13 balls) of Valdani hand dyed silk, all

Pages