hungry/angry baby

iVillage Member
hungry/angry baby
Sun, 12-18-2011 - 12:01am

Hi Guys,

My LO is 5 weeks old and was born 8lbs 9oz.

iVillage Member
Sun, 12-18-2011 - 9:23am
The BF habits really don't seem that abnormal for a baby his age as Long as weight gain and diaper output is ok he's getting enough. Have you tried a pacifier often babies just want to suck and if you give them a bottle they cant suck with out getting milk. The other thing that might be happening is a foremilk hind milk imbalance or over supply how much are u pumping a day? If ur milk is less fat it can cause baby to be hungry more often. U mentioned gerd do u ever hear the baby reflux? Truthfully my DD was an hour on the boob an hour off around the clock until 6 weeks and cluster fed for hours before bed I know it's exhausting but he's still so little. Do u swaddle him when he's in the crib he may feel more secure that way. those are just some thoughts good luck
iVillage Member
Sun, 12-18-2011 - 3:02pm

He will not usually take a pacifier... he will suck on it for a minute ravenously, but spit it out and begin crying once he realizes there's no milk.

I'm not sure what reflux would sound like?

I was pumping every 3.5 hrs and getting about 6 oz each time.

iVillage Member
Sun, 12-18-2011 - 3:21pm

Sleeping 5 hours at a strech for a breastfed baby at 5 weeks old is pretty unusual. It is really normal for a EBF baby to feed almost constantly at this point at not sleep for more than about 2 hours at a stretch, particularly at the age you are talking about right now....there is a significant growth spurt around 6 weeks of age.

It's also really normal for a little baby not to sleep soundly flat in a crib because it is such a foreign position to them. You said he sleeps in the swing. What about a chair or a sling, that would help him stay cozy and upright. My DS didn't sleep in the crib at all until he was about 4 months old and my best friend's daughter wouldn't sleep in her crib until almost 8 months. It's not unusual. It's actually pretty common.

Rooting and sucking are reflexes for a newborn. If a baby in on the breast, they can comfort suck and not draw milk. If your DS doesnt have that option, I agree with PP that a pacifier might make a world of difference. For us, I EBF'd and still used a pacifier becasue my DS would have sucked my nipples off without it. Seriously. FYI--we had to try 4 different paci's to find one he liked.

iVillage Member
Sun, 12-18-2011 - 3:28pm
Reflux sound like a gulping burping sound then they'll usually swallow your pumping volumes are very high I'm betting on an over supply problem it can make babies fussy at the breast because they can't handle the milk flow and if he was only getting fore milk it would explain why he was hungry a Lot of the time the fix for that is block feeding when you pump are u pumping for a set amount of time or are u pumping past the last drops of milk to ensure baby gets the hind milk u may need to pump for longer on average babies eat 19-30 oz aday of BM and the average mom can pump 1-3 oz from both breasts combined so ur way over that formula consumption is based on weight and I'm not sure how that goes but over supply foremilk imbalance mimics gerd and reflux eventually your supply will regulate if u plan to continue pumping exclusively take a look at the EP board it will tell u how to maintain a supply hang in there momma
iVillage Member
Sun, 12-18-2011 - 3:52pm

WHen you say your baby didn't sleep in the crib for the first 4 months, where did you have him/her sleep?

iVillage Member
Sun, 12-18-2011 - 4:18pm
My DD slept in her bouncer bc of reflux and then napped in her swing for a few months u could also do a bassinet co sleeper or pack n play
iVillage Member
Mon, 12-19-2011 - 1:39pm
When our DS was little and not sleeping in his crib, we did a couple of things. We have a comfy recliner chair that was in the corner of our bedroom that I slept in with him sitting up-right for months. We also had a bed-side cosleeper for times when he was willing to lie down....I would have gladly used it this longer but DS is very long and outgrew it way fast.

Is your DH opposed to cosleeping because he doesn't know that it can be done safely? If so, a cosleeper might work for you. I know they are pretty easy to find on craig's list and freecycle if you don't want to spend the $$ on a new one.
http://www.amazon.com/Arms-Reach-Mini-Co-Sleeper-Bassinet/dp/B000HKY1GM I think this is the one we have.
Also some more info, just cause I think it's worth sharing.
http://cosleeping.nd.edu/safe-co-sleeping-guidelines/

We also let our DS sleep in his bucket car seat a few times, but I didn't love this option since I couldn't see him in the bucket on the floor when I was lying in bed.

My best friend's daughter slept in her swing for almost 6 months. My husband's coworker had a DD at the same time we had our DS and that little girl slept in a car seat until she was about 7 months old.
iVillage Member
Wed, 01-04-2012 - 3:51pm