Hi New Here

iVillage Member
Hi New Here
Tue, 02-21-2012 - 3:09am

Hi I'm Shannon (28), I am trying to lose weight and help my family be more healthy. I've been married since Aug 08 and I have a 2.5 year old son. I have tried to lose weight before, but I find that I am all gung ho and then I flame out. Part of it is that my DH who I love dearly has no desire to change.

I have started a blog to talk about my weight loss and to be a safe place for me to put my thoughts out there. But I thought that joining some boards might help me to keep motivated with friends.

I would love some ideas as to how I can sneak some healthy foods into my very very picky little guy.

Thanks,

Shannon

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-21-2012 - 4:16pm

Hi Shannon and Welcome to the Board! I go in spurts too when I eat healthy/work out for days at a time and then revert back to my old ways for days at a time. Journaling on this board down below has helped me stay at least accountable and motivated. My "little ones" are about to be 12 (I have twins) and they still eat all the vegetables I put in front of them. Start them as early as you can. My crazy kids even fight over who's going to get the last brussel sprout! lol

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-22-2012 - 10:29am
md_twin_mommy wrote:

My crazy kids even fight over who's going to get the last brussel sprout! lol

Now that is just plain wrong!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-22-2012 - 10:52am
Hi Shannon!

Welcome to the board! I think it's quite common to lose motivation quickly so this board and your blog are great places to start. Just a tweak or a small change can make a difference towards building the right foundation for a healthier lifestyle!

As far as healthier foods for little ones... my personal opinion is that you need to introduce them MANY times over. I think it takes kids a while to decide to like some vegetable but I've found that with my son and with myself also that the more I try something the fonder of it I become. I've tried for years to get my son (4) to try green peppers but he won't so while I kept offering he kept turning them down. Just last week he decided that he likes them and I watched him eat raw strip after raw strip of green peppers.

In the meantime... sweet potato fries or sweet potatos are usually easy kid pleasing veggies. You could try hiding spinach in pasta or adding a diced tomato to mac n cheese. Muffins are an excellent way to add all sorts of veggies - zucchini, carrots, applesauce.

If all else fails bribery or trickery! I tell my son that carrots make his eyes stronger, that broccoli makes him run faster, and that cabbage makes his muscles grow....lol!

Anyway - chime in! We'd love to hear more from you!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-22-2012 - 10:53am
Hi Shannon - welcome to the board! Great job on making the effort to make those little changes that count.

Our journalling section is a great place to build accountability, get support and see ideas on what other people are doing and what is and isn't working for them.

At 2 1/2 your little guy can probably handle some softer raw veggies that he can snack on - as he gets older, cutting veggies into fun shapes - letting them dip it in dips, and just incorporating it into your daily meals will help to build that habit up. As they get older, let them pick out a veggie they want to try at the grocery store.

My son was the king of picky eaters, but once he got into daycare (or around other kids), he became much less picky, and you will see his eating habits change.

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-22-2012 - 12:49pm
carrie_mt wrote:

If all else fails bribery or trickery! I tell my son that carrots make his eyes stronger, that broccoli makes him run faster, and that cabbage makes his muscles grow....lol!

Funny!