Trying to help

iVillage Member
Trying to help
Wed, 03-14-2012 - 5:06pm

In the past, my boyfriend has suffered from severe depression, and anxiety attacks. While they're mostly under control now (and were before we ever started dating), he will occasionally have bouts of time where he gets hit all over again. He's in therapy, and is on a couple of different medications to control the problems, but sometimes, I guess, that just isn't enough.

When these attacks occur, he always tells me about them, and says that being with me makes him feel calm and collected and happy. However, it seems that whenever this happens, and I ask him to come be with me, to let me help him, he turns down the offer. While part of this I know has to do with work, and him not wanting to miss it, and part is male ego, I can't help but feel helpless.

If he won't let me help him, what can I do?

I do my best, reminding him that I love him, offering time together (that I know he'll turn down), but beyond that, my hands are tied. Has anyone dealt with something like this? Depression doesn't just affect the person that's depressed, it affects everyone around them, and so I thought that perhaps, someone would have some advice for me.

Thanks in advance.

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-15-2012 - 5:20am

Your boyfriend is very fortunate to have you in his life and that is huge.

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-15-2012 - 7:54am

He is fortunate to have you.