Minimalist Running Shoes vs. Plantar Fasciitis

iVillage Member
Minimalist Running Shoes vs. Plantar Fasciitis
Thu, 03-15-2012 - 4:18pm

Hello ladies.

iVillage Member

Welcome to the board! I went to a Good Form running class at my local running store not too long ago and the instructor mentioned that minimalist shoes would help to correct heel striking because you'd actually be able to feel your foot hitting the pavement. From what you said, your PF was probably caused by not replacing your shoes often enough - not heel striking - so I think you'd be okay with a mimimal shoe. If I were you, I'd break them in slowly. I believe the recommendation I heard was no more than 1 mile the first time you wear them. And

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Hey there! I have no personal experience with this, Thank God! But have been wondering the same thing. Some of the girls here struggle with PF and would probably have a better idea. But it seems to make sense. Come on out of lurking more often!!

mo 7-18-10

iVillage Member

HI! Welcome to the board!

~~ Valerie

iVillage Member

Thanks Ladies,

Yes, I would certainly do this before my current shoes are dead so that I could ease into the new shoe gradually.

iVillage Member
Welcome, glad you came out of lurking. :) Good news about your running form; the current data seems to indicate that heal striking is incredibly hard on the body.

I have the Nike Free, and I do like them. Like Val said, they are a little less minimalist than the Five Finger; the Nike Free still have some support, and I like laces (odd maybe but true). I feel like I have more support if I can lace and tie my shoes the way I like.

I usually only do one run a week in the Free, and that is speedwork. Some people run in minimalist shoes all of the time, but you should transition from your regular trainers to minimalist shoes and not just up and run like 5 miles in them.

I have had PF in the past, while running strictly in trainers. I haven't heard about a connection between minimalist shoes and PF, but I am now curious to see if there is any data about that subject out there yet. I think I'll look.

The only issue I have had personally with the Free is sore feet, not like an injury, but like when I was taking ballet. The good thing is, in both cases, my feet are getting stronger.

lorie6-26-09.png Lorie 6-26-09 picture by runningwomen

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-20-2012 - 10:26am
Hello, and welcome to the board! Sorry I am late to respond here. While I've done no research on this, I just had a terrible bout of PF from August through October, and I am still feeling it sometimes. I've been running for years an never had an injury of any type. Prior to the PF, I had switched to a new shoe. Not a minimalist shoe, but a lower heel profile and more lightweight shoe. After running in them exclusively for 3 months, I ended up with PF. I couldn't run for over 2 months while I healed. My physical therapist said the shoes probably didn't CAUSE the PF, but they certainly were a factor. If you have a good mid-foot strike and ease into them, you'll probably be fine, but pay attention to how your body feels. In my opinion, feet like to be cushioned as they pound the pavement. :)
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-20-2012 - 10:43am
Good morning and welcome to the board! I got nothin'. Never tried them. But looks like everyone else has you covered! Be sure to pop in and say hello!