I have an intolerable co-worker...please advise.

iVillage Member
I have an intolerable co-worker...please advise.
Mon, 04-09-2012 - 10:25pm

I started a job almost a year ago, for the first 6 months I made tons of mistakes that were overlooked and at that point, I even received a good end of year review. This co-worker has been there for more than a year, and has also made tons of mistakes. However, she is very friendly and kiss ass with one of the bosses.

My issue is...a couple of months ago, my immediate boss started giving me more responsibilities. My co-worker did not seem to like this and this is when the issues began. I believe for some reason she was under the impression that she was my boss (I have more experience than her, plus a degree in that field - because of the economy, I took what i could, putting me on her level).

As a result, she threw a couple of tantrums on the job, that caused me to go to my boss and in the end, I think, she was written up.

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-10-2012 - 12:11pm
If you're making mistakes, stop making them. If you need to slow down and pay more attention to work, then do that. Stop focusing on this woman and do your job well--that's the best defense you could have against anyone speaking against your abilities.
It really doesn't do you any good to respond to her, especially in writing, telling her what to do when it seems she's sending out informational emails to your entire team. I don't even get that she's singling you out, but I do get the impression that your responses are putting you in a bad light.
You should be going to your bosses directly if you have questions about your work. You shouldn't not go to them with issues about how to do things well. They should be your source of information and guidance unless they have delegated this to your "rude" coworker, and if that's the case, in a way, you do report to her.
Unfortunately, I do believe your responses to your coworker via email do make it seem like you are the one that needs to have a babysitter. If you don't want that, then stop sending defensive and demanding email responses to her and start to show you can play nice and do your job well.

Liz

Clinical Research Associate

-------------------------------------------------
http://www.