Fill in the blank: My mom taught me......

iVillage Member
Fill in the blank: My mom taught me......
Wed, 04-11-2012 - 3:37pm

In honor of Mother's Day next month (May 13th), iVillage is creating a gallery of our members' responses to the following fill in the blank:

My mom taught me....

So, please share with us any words of wisdom or life lessons that your mom taught you- no matter if it's big or small, humorous or serious- we want to hear them all!

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-12-2012 - 1:49pm
My mom taught me to always use good manners. As a kid I can remember rolling my eyes at the constant reminders right as I was going out the door to a playdate or birthday party..."Remember to say please and thank you and yes ma'am and no ma'am." Of course I find myself saying the same thing to my daughter now! There's a lot to be said for good manners.
Photobucket
Community Leader
Thu, 04-12-2012 - 2:04pm

My mom taught me...

Never write down anything that you don't want everyone to know.

Of course that now translates to "don't write/text/post" but the concept is still the same. In the very least, I've learned how to say what I need to say tactfully so if it does come back to bite me, it wouldn't be as bad.

Of course this advice was given to me when I was in grammar school and passing notes was huge. :)

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-12-2012 - 2:49pm

...a lot about being a good teacher, and how to stand up for myself as a woman (she was a liberated woman before her time.)

Community Leader
Thu, 04-12-2012 - 9:50pm

My mom taught me to cross my legs like Betty Grable.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-13-2012 - 8:02am

My Mom taught me that as a woman, I could do anything. She only had a high school education. She was hard of hearing & in her early 30s before she could afford a hearing aid and her loss was severe. In spite of her handicap & lack of formal education, she worked her way up from a sales clerk at a 5 & 10 cent store to retire from a midsize company as their CFO. She acknowledged early in my life that she wasn't maternal and so my grandmother lived with us to raise me who was another strong independent woman something she learned from her mother who ran her husband's business after he died leaving her with 6 kids to raise. I'm proud of the women in my family!

Dee

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-13-2012 - 2:52pm
My mom taught me
-to nurse my babies because its the best thing for them
-to pick my battles
-to care for children and the elderly no matter who they belong to
-to take care of myself too. This one was an accident though. My mom gives so much of herself to others and I've seen her in the hospital more than once with an illness that got out of hand because she didn't take time to take care of herself. It also turned her into a bitter person for several years when she realized some people didn't reciprocate her generosity. From that, I've learned to watch out for myself too and that its ok if mama needs a break. Fortunately, she's also learned the same lesson!

Manda :)

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-13-2012 - 4:02pm
Independence! Much to her dismay because now most of us children live farther away than she'd like. But I love being able to make decisions on my own and having the confidence not to doubt myself goes right along with this.
KRISTIE
Community Leader
Fri, 04-13-2012 - 8:09pm

My mother taught me that she was raising me to be

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-13-2012 - 8:52pm

My mom taught me to believe in myself, to do my best at whatever I did.

The truth may be out there but lies are in your head. Terry Pratchett

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-16-2012 - 12:05pm

This is just a "small" thing but my mom taught me everything I ever needed to know about caring for cats! The importance of having one litter box for EACH cat, providing plenty of fresh water, and giving positive reinforcement. (Although we sound pretty ridiculous saying "That's a good kitty!!!! " in a high squeaky voice, it works, lol!).

We call her the "cat whisperer"