Anna Quindlen Book Club: Kicking off the discussion - Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake

iVillage Member
Anna Quindlen Book Club: Kicking off the discussion - Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake
Mon, 04-23-2012 - 8:25am

Hello everyone!

I'm extremely excited with the opportunity we've been given to dive into Anna Quindlen's newest book, Lots of Candle, Plenty of Cake, before it's been released to the general public. I don't know about you, but it's made me feel a bit like a VIP! LOL

To get our discussion rolling, I'll post a topic question each day but I really hope all of you will feel free to toss out others as well, ok? Ready... Here we go --

In the opening lines of the book, Anna Quindlen says about the arc of her life:"First

iVillage Member

yes, i think i have invented myself as i have grown. mainly when i got married, because my dh and i come from totally different backgrounds. i did a lot of changing so we fit together better. the way i think and some decisions i make now are not what i would have done when i was younger, that's for sure. the whole growing experience is a process and i think everyone changes or as she said reinvents themselves as they go through life.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Yes, I identify with her, though I do not know if I have invented someone. I have changed over the years. I am not the same person I was when I was in college or when I got married 20 years ago, or when I first had a child some 15 1/2 years ago. How could you be? With all of these life experiences, lose of loved ones, especially friends of my own age, letting go of close relationships, growing of spiritual self, the good and bad of life, I feel I am a work in progress still though as I go through my 40's, I am calming down, developing into my own self, finding pleasure in different things and starting to take every moment in and trying not to rush through life.
Community Leader

I'm starting to identify with what she wrote in her introduction.

iVillage Member
jacobandcoopersmommy wrote:

I'm starting to identify with what she wrote in her introduction.

iVillage Member

"First

CL for "

iVillage Member

Maybe I'm not understanding what she means, but I feel like my life has been just the opposite. I spent most of my younger years trying to be someone/something I wasn't, mostly in an effort to please someone else. Now I feel like I'm finally free to be the person I was meant to be all along, and if someone doesn't like it, too bad for them!

girl in chair
iVillage Member

I am not sure if all women do it, but I sure did!!! until I got older and "smarter" and realized that inventied person wasn't sustainable.