How do you overcome the feeling of resentment and avoiding being around stbSD?

iVillage Member
How do you overcome the feeling of resentment and avoiding being around stbSD?
Mon, 06-11-2012 - 4:51pm

I mentioned last week I have a BD(7) and stb SD (9-almost 10) - my dd is off with grandparents this week therefore I have not seen her since Friday afternoon.  Everything revolves around the SD, she can't have her way so complains and whines to her father so she can have a sleepover because being at our house is just so horrible.  He gives in - actually gives us a break from her.  There is constant conflict between the two of them..."I don't like the wheat buns", "why do I have to eat at the table with you all?", why do we I have clean up the trash?  It is non-stop and exhausting.  I am an outsider in my own house, as I explained this to df this morning.  She did do chores to get a video game, video games are not my things, I have tried and would be willing to learn but she breezes through them with no teaching.  She again standing in the kithchen, me two feet from her and asks her father if I am going to breakfast with them and some friends.  I am know I am rambling and venting but as I told DF this morning, I get it, he typically only gets her on the weekends and but the entire weekend revolves around her and when she doesn't get her way all hell breaks loose.  He was frustrated with her yesterday.  I have suggested counseling so she can have a neutral party to complain to as to "why she doesn't want to come to daddy's house" - She will literally not carry on a conversation with me, it is me constanting asking her questions...How was EOG, How was confirmation class -

Please tell me I am not alone and to get over it and that it gets better.  I am reading Stepmonster which is giving me some assistance and angst as I don't know if I am truly prepared for what I am getting into with an adolescent and remarrying. 

I am avoiding going home tonight until I know she is gone - just don't want to even deal with it.....

iVillage Member

I  advice you to stop making such suspects.Be as you are.Let the things as it is.By the time they will underderstand,in this age every second kid used to do same.!!