Old dogs and lumps

iVillage Member
Old dogs and lumps
Sat, 07-07-2012 - 10:21pm

I have a three old dogs, and the 2 Weimaraners are quite lumpy at nearly 10 and 13 years old.  The greyhound has very small lumps, since fat is not very often a problem with the breed.  (How I wish I had that superior metabolism!)  Last week I took Allie in to have a new lump checked.  It appeared quickly on her neck and was hard, unlike the others which are usually pliable.  It turned out to be a cebaceous cyst from an oil gland and will probably erupt some day as her body tries to get rid of it.  (yuk!) 

What do you do with lumps on your dogs?  Do you have them all checked by a vet or just assume they are fatty tumors and harmless?  Do you ever have them removed when they get big?

Barbara

Oh say, can you see?

Visual Impairments

<

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-06-2012 - 10:55am
Hi I'm new to this board. Our first 3 dogs we had their lumps removed and it was so traumatic for them and us. They have sinced passed. With our other dogs we always have the lumps checked out by our vet, but have learned from our vet that if they are soft and movable they are usually lipomas, it is the hard and unmovable ones that are the ones you need to be concerned about and usually are removed since they can be cancerous. Hope this helps
iVillage Member
Sat, 10-06-2012 - 2:46pm

Pugs (and Boxers and some other breeds) are prone to mast cell tumors.  ^^Prissy^^ had a bunch of little tumors removed late in her life.  We didn't THINK they were cancerous, so we did not send them to the lab.  But ^^Prissy^^ ultimately developed cancer and that is why I had her put down at 14.

Pug Rescue had Jabaar's tumors removed, and I have asked for the pathology results before I sign the adoption contract.  I love him to pieces, but I'm not sure I want to commit to a dog with a malignancy.  If the tumors are benign (and I really think they are) I plan to reimburse pug rescue for the surgery after I adopt.  I haven't told them that, but it seems fair to me.