Nightmares

iVillage Member
Nightmares
Tue, 07-17-2012 - 12:35am

I wonder if I will ever stop having nightmares about the SA. I can go awhile without them, but then something triggers them and they happen repeatedly. My therapist has said it's just the anxiety I have coming out as I sleep. He says by now I should be able to just shrug them off in the morning and go about my business. I wish I could, but the emotions just stick with me. I feel, as I write this, that I"m having a conversation with my therapist. He'd be telling me that my emotions have always caused me trouble and to wake up, realize why I"m emotional, and then forget it. Has anyone here who was SA ever stopped having nightmares? I'd love to know how.

iVillage Member
Re: Nightmares
Sun, 10-14-2012 - 10:22pm
This reminds me of myself. I often feel very invaded when someone enters my secret little bubble or area.
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-14-2012 - 12:04am

I'm with you in that having my husband there with me helps. Once I got married and had someone there who would protect me I felt much safer. It just didn't stop the nightmares, but did help me sleep better. Sometimes the nightmares are so bad I've had to wake up my husband and have him hold me. Othertimes I wake up so afraid and need to use the restroom--I actually have to wake up my husband and have him come with me, and then I need him to follow me back to bed--he has to be the last one back to bed for me to feel safe. It sounds silly during daylight areas, but I can get so freaked out during the night.

I made my therapist sound so bad and he's really not that way. Honestly, I was feeling a bit angry with him during the time I posted and ended up posting what I FELT he was telling me, not what he has really said. Big difference sometimes. He's very supportive. Thankfully so is my husband.

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 8:39pm
I have nightmares too although over time they have gotten less often. Around the holidays I tend to have more. I also think my husband makes me feel very safe so I really think being with him has helped. I do sometimes take otc generic excedrin pm to help me stay asleep.
Community Leader
Re: Nightmares
Thu, 09-27-2012 - 7:42am

I think it's an individual thing.

I still have night-mares...:smileysad:...

I do that to!

I want/need a way out.

<3

Nightangel