Our first Apple Blossom Braelynn is here!!!

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
Registered: 12-31-1969
Our first Apple Blossom Braelynn is here!!!
Wed, 08-01-2012 - 1:05am

Sorry it took me a little while to update things have been super crazy this past week or two and now I'm trying to recover from a c-section!

Short and sweet: Braelynn Maria was born at 2:36pm on July 27, 2012 via emergency c-section at 33w2d gestation. She came out weighing 4lbs 2oz and is 16.75in long.

Long story:

Because my computer was essentially dead I wasn't able to update a whole lot on this board leading up to Braelynn's arrival but I was put on bedrest at 29w5d for pre-term labor and was in and out of the hospital from that point until her arrival at 33w2d. However it funnily enough wasn't the pre-term labor that caused the emergency c-section and her ultimately being born it was pre-eclampsia and fetal distress.

It all started about a week ago when i was 32w1d I went into L&D for contractions and bloody show. I was checked and I was 2.5-3cm and 60% effaced. I was contracting every 7ish mins and they gave me fluids and a shot of terbutaline to slow the contractions down. They kept me overnight for observation and at 7am when the dr did rounds my contractions were spaced out very nicely but she ordered steroids for the baby's lungs just in case (THANK GOD). I was allowed to get up and go to the bathroom and order my breakfast. The dr said after breakfast she wanted me to take a shower and then be monitored for another 2hrs before being sent back home.

So I went potty and while I was eating my breakfast my contractions picked back up again. By the time I was done with my breakfast the dr told me I wasn't allowed to shower I had to stay laying in bed cuz of the contractions. So I laid in bed on the monitor for a few more hours and they checked me and I was still around 3cm so they let me go shower and then come back and be monitored and eat my lunch. So I showered and got lunch and was back on the monitors and my contractions kept picking up and were getting stronger. Around 3:30-4pm I wanted to order dinner and the nurse checked me first and I was at 4cm and she ran out of the room and called the Dr.

She came back in with another nurse, told me I wasn't allowed to eat dinner, and that I was being transfered to Pittsburgh because I was in labor. They gave me a whole bunch of fluids and an antibiotic because i hadn't had my GBS test done yet. I was a mess, I was convinved I was going to deliver her that day, my husband was rushing to the hospital from work to be with me. I was very very scared.

When I got to Pittsburgh my contractions were 3-4 mins apart but I was still 4cm. Before I left my local hospital they loaded me with Procardia hoping to hold off the labor. When I got to Pittsburgh obviously they kknew the procardia wasn't doing anything, they immediatly did an u/s to check for her size so they knew roughly what they were going to be dealing with. I developed a migraine from the Procardia and they noticed my blood pressure was up so they started running tests for pre-e and thankfully, by power or prayer and divine intervention, at 10pm my contractions and everything just STOPPED.

Everything stopped and they allowed me to eat dinner and kept me overnight to monitor my pressure and they were going to do a NST in the morning to see how things with the baby were going.

So dh and I got moved into another room around 4am (man that was a LONG day!) and got a few hours of sleep before the dr came in around 7am. She said that my pre-e bloodwork came back fine but she wanted me to do a 24hr urine, and as far as the PTL was concerned she was going to keep me until 8am and give me my 2nd steroid shot but she didn't see a reason for me to stay there. So I got my second steroid shot and we got discharged around 11am. I was able to make it to my cousin's wedding and see my 3yr old daughter as the flower girl, which meant a lot to me! I was very upset that I was going to miss all of that on friday!

So I got home Saturday, and Sunday I started my 24hr urine and I turned it in Monday when I was supposed to get a follow up NST. So I got there monday for my follow up NST and what was supposed to only take 30 mins ended up taking 5 hours. Baby was non-reactive so they kept me longer to watch her and then ordered a bpp (which she passed). So I was discharged home around 9pm that night.

Tuesday was my reg OB appt and the dr checked me again jic and i was still 4cm and my bp was up quite a bit. So she re-ordered another 24hr urine and another NST for wednesday. So I go in on wednesday and hand in my 24hr urine again and the same thing happens on the NST she was non-reactive so they had to keep me for a bpp. This time however she still "passed" the bpp but the tech was stimulating her way too much IMO. She passed right at the 30 min mark and the tech had to try really hard to get her to do some of the stuff. This threw up a red flag for me but the dr thought it was fine and sent me home.

I came back in Thursday around 3pm for my follow-up NST and once again she was non-reactive and this time now her heart rate was up in the 170s the whole time. So they did another bpp and again she "passed" but it took the tech a lot of work to get her to do things. The dr this time didn't feel comfortable letting me leave since my bp was up towards 150/100 and baby wasn't looking great on the monitors. So I spent the night on monitoring.

When the dr came around in the morning on friday (same dr as last week lol i thought that was funny). She told me she didn't feel comfortable keeping me there, that she would rather see me go down to pittsburgh cuz my pressures were borderline and the baby wasn't looking awesome and she wanted me where the high risk dr's were and the nicu was. So once again I got packed up and shipped to Pittsburgh.

Now at the time that she shipped me off she made it sound like I'd be delivering a baby but NOT in the imediate future. She said she expected them to monitor me for a while at least and then make a decision. So I told my husband to stay home and go to work, that it wasn't a big deal and I'd call him if anything changed. My mom took the day off and she decided she wanted to come "sit with me" so she came down (thankfully).

So I got to Pittsburgh around 11:45am on Friday morning. They had me in the triage area and were watching my vitals and baby. My mom got there around 1pm right about the time that the dr's were starting to get concerned about the baby on the monitor. She was again being non-reactive and her heartrate was elevated. So not long after my mom got there around 1:45pm the dr comes into the room with an u/s machine and said they wanted another bpp but imaging was busy and they didn't want to wait so they were going to do a quick one just to check baby while they were waiting for the "official" one. So they started the u/s and one dr, turned into two dr's.. which turned into 3 dr's... which turned into 3 dr's and a nicu dr...at this point the dr told me to call whoever I needed to call cuz the baby was gonna be born today. So my mom called dh and told him to get down there right away cuz they were thinking about doing an emergency c/s.

At 1:55pm the Dr told me that he was concerned about the baby and he wanted my permission to do a c/s right away to get her out. I have never had a c/s before I was freaking out, I wanted a vaginal birth, I wanted my husband to be there!! Ultimatly tho I knew she wasn't doing well for whatever reason and she needed to come out and I knew if my baby was going to be born early I was where I needed to be at for that to happen. I gave them permission and within mins they had me in the OR.

She was born at 2:36pm so just over a half hour from the time the dr told me he needed to get her out. It was very fast but I'm glad I was where they are experienced and do this all the time cuz even tho it was an "emergency" I didn't feel crazy about it. I was calm (as calm as I could be) and the dr's were all calm and re-assuring.

She came out and immediatly went to the NICU team. They didn't hold her over the curtain like in the movies, I didn't get to see her or anything. The NICU team worked on her in the room for prolly about 10-15 mins and then took her into the NICU to continue to stabalize her. I didn't hear her cry and was pretty upset at this point. The dr noticed I was crying and he leaned over and told me that the baby was okay, that she was breathing when she left the OR and that everything was going to be okay. That helped me relax and calm down, I had no idea before that point if she was alive or not but knowing she was breathing and they were doing their job and stabalizing her made me feel better.

So I got to recovery a little after 3pm and dh was waiting for me there.  I immediatly asked him if he saw Braelynn yet and he said no, they hadn't let him see her yet. So we sat in recovery while I waited to get feeling back in my feet and around 5 they came in and said that dh could go see Braelynn. So he went down and got to see her now that they had her stable and admitted into the NICU.

He came back and showed me pics of her, I wasn't able to see her until around 9pm that night. They finally got me situated in a room and they wheeled me down after me breaking down in the post-partum unit cuz I hadn't seen her yet!

She was on cpap and had 2 IV lines but was stable and doing well.



The next day I was in A LOT of pain from the c/s and nobody visited per my request so I could sleep. I did force myself to go down to the NICU in the afternoon to see her and she was doing so much better already! She was off cpap and on just a nasal canula and she actually already started taking feeds by bottle by the time i got down there.


Sunday afternoon the family visited and dh brought the kids to see their new little sister. She also made more milestones over night and was on room air and was down to only 1 IV line. We also got to hold her for the first time on Sunday!


I was discharged Monday afternoon and spent my last little bit of time there with her, holding her and looking at her. She has been doing great. She is getting stronger every day and taking more and more of her feeds by mouth.  We are hoping to have her home within the next week or two.  She is def a little princess. The NICU nurses even call her princess. She is so tiny and perfect and has this little mind of her own and knows what she wants! :smileyhappy:

I'm glad everything turned out okay and she baked as long as she did because she could have come a lot earlier and even before I got the steroid shots which could have been really bad. But everything is working out and hopefully soon the princess will be home where she belongs with her brother and sister and we can start settling into a groove as a family of 5 :smileyhappy:


iVillage Member
Registered: 11-26-2011
Wed, 08-01-2012 - 5:45am
She is so precious! I am glad you both are doing great & I cannot wait for her to come home it the family. Congrats on the beautiful baby girl.
 BabyFetus Ticker
iVillage Member
Registered: 04-21-2005
Wed, 08-01-2012 - 8:22am

wow! thank you for taking the time out to post your story. it had me in tears and i am so happy it has a great ending! congrats from the Oct. Board! She is beautiful.

Avatar for cmkristy
iVillage Member
Registered: 07-05-2005
Wed, 08-01-2012 - 9:07am

Congratulations on the birth of your sweet baby girl! She is just beautiful and I'm so glad to hear that she's doing so well. I hope you are able to take her home with you very soon! Welcome to the world, Braelynn!

 photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Registered: 06-06-2001
Wed, 08-01-2012 - 12:48pm

Hon, so happy that all turned out well.  I've been following your story all along, and your post still brought me to tears.  I had breifly posted in the prayer section to let the ladies know how you were doing.  Glad you're back on the board.  :smileyhappy:

iVillage Member
Registered: 02-04-2008
Wed, 08-01-2012 - 4:34pm

Wow, you've really been through a lot! Congrats on your precious little one and I'm glad to hear she is doing so well. Hopefully she will be home safe in your arms really soon. KUP!

 BabyFetus Ticker
iVillage Member
Registered: 01-04-2012
Wed, 08-01-2012 - 5:58pm

Congratulations! It's so great to hear that you are both doing well now, and I hope you get to take Braelynn home very soon. What a lead-up story, does she like to make an entrance or what?! :smileyhappy:

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
iVillage Member
Registered: 02-21-2011
Thu, 08-02-2012 - 8:34pm
She's gorgeous! Congrats!!!
iVillage Member
Registered: 04-28-2003
Sat, 08-04-2012 - 2:23am
She's beautiful! What a dramatic entrance to this world she made :smileyhappy: Glad all is well after all that.