October Cyclers - Post Here

iVillage Member
October Cyclers - Post Here
Tue, 09-04-2012 - 10:08am

Anyone looking at a cycle in October?  Here's a thread for you!  Good luck!!

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-19-2012 - 11:58am

Sounds like you have a lot of fun plans coming up this weekend =) Any fun things you can distract yourself with are so worth it! We are thinking about going to the pumpkin patch this weekend with some friends.

As of now we have NO decorations...isn't that sad?! We at least need a friggen pumpkin *LOL*

Caryn

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-18-2012 - 10:27pm

Exciting about your lining! I'm glad to hear that the BCPs make someone else emotional. I was thinking that just had to be in my head. No big plans, but I am going to a girlfriends 30th birthday party this weekend and she is the one who initially referred us to the doc we're using now. She has PCOS and her husband has issues as well, and I haven't had a chance to really update her on everything going on so it will be nice to catch up. 

We'll also be Halloween costume shopping this weekend, as I am determined to make Halloween weekend the "last hoorah" for a while. Hubby and I have had a lot of fun using Halloween as a distraction. Our house looks like Target's seasonal aisle right now!

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-18-2012 - 12:20pm
Lindsay ~ BCPs are evil! Those and Lupron get to me the most...the other meds don't make me that emotional. I saw in the other thread that you got your protocol, that's awesome. I'm really impatient so I totally understand just wanting to get things going. Any fun plans over the next few weeks to help pass the time? AFM ~ The re-check on Tuesday went good, lining had thinned to 4.4mm and I started my estrogen (oral and patches). Next Thursday, the 25th will be my ultrasound to make sure my lining is good to go for transfer on the 31st.
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-15-2012 - 10:05pm

So over BCPs and ready to get something, anything started! I've been a bit emotional lately actually. Don't know if that's psychological or if my body is really as achy and miserable as I think it is. Boo! I'm just impatient I suppose. 

Crossing my fingers for you on your Halloween transfer! I'm living vicariously through your action for the next two weeks. 

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-15-2012 - 3:05pm
Lindsay ~ How are BCPs treating you? Only a few more weeks on them and then it'll be time to rock-n-roll. Are you getting excited?

AFM (Caryn) ~ Went in for CD1 (FET) monitoring and my E2=10 so I'm ok there but my lining is 7mm so it's too thick. They are having me put off starting the estrace and patches until it thins. I'll continue Lupron and recheck on Tuesday (u/s and b/w). AF started Friday and has been decently heavy but today has slowed down to just spotting so I'm a little worried it won't be as thin as they want it. Hopefully this is nothing more than a two day delay and CD1 will be tomorrow *fingers crossed* If that's true transfer would be on Halloween I think =)
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 5:17pm

Hey Lindsey, I'm a fellow Oklahoman! I'm in OKC and went to OU Reproductive Medicine and loved them (if you ever think about switching). Also, I took Royal Jelly w/ Bee Pollen, CoQ10 and DHEA and did accupuncture prior to my last cycle and I think it made a big difference. It was our third and last (no matter what!) so we just threw everything in. They also switched my protocol (different meds, no Lupron) and I'm sure that made a difference too for me (although statistically chances are higher with a "long Lupron" protocol, it just wasn't good for me). Now I'm 19 weeks pregnant with twins after 11 IUIs, 3 IVFs and 5 miscarriages! Don't give up hope...you just never know what a little tweaking can do if your first (or second) cycle doesn't work.

Good luck to all you October cyclers!

-Jamie

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 8:50pm
I know one of the hardest things for me was the lack of control!! I did things like chart out a spreadsheet of the drugs I took which days, and calculate how much meds I got out of the pen cartridges. LOL! I am a nerd!! :smileyhappy:
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-07-2012 - 8:19pm

Wow. What AMAZING information! Thank you so much! I really feel so much better informed. I am such a planner and not being able to have every detail of this under control really just drives me crazy! Your info helped me to think of things that I can take charge of, like finding out the drugs that my doc plans on putting me on and shopping around for prices. That's at least something I can do in the interim!

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-06-2012 - 3:35pm
Hi Lindsay,

I live in smaller city in Alabama and had to drive across the state for my procedures. It was only a 3 1/2 hour drive (one way) for me. I was able to do some of my monitoring locally (but because my local OB/GYN had to send out the bloodwork I realized that was more expensive than the gas and the last cycle I drove every visit to the RE's clinic for my monitoring). You may be able to work out an arrangement to do the monitoring locally and save you some travel. Oh, remember to record all your mileage and travel expenses to use on your taxes!!

About the meds, there really are several procedures, so can't give exact details, but one of the more common cycles uses lupron. This type of cycle usually starts with a few days to a few weeks of birth control pills which put you onto the right schedule and then you start taking lupron. Lupron is given via a subcutaneous injection and it basically turns off a lot of your normal hormone production so that it can be managed by the drugs that the RE will give you and will keep you from ovulating prematurely. (Other cycles that don't use lupron will use a different drug to prevent ovulation.) You will have a period a few days after stopping the birth control pills and on day 3 of your cycle, you go in for baseline monitoring which involves bloodwork and a transvaginal ultrasound (fun, huh!). They will look at the results and then probably give you a call with instructions about starting stim medicines. These are also injectible subcutaneously and usually done morning and evening. Monitoring goes with about every third day, then maybe two to three days (depending on how fast or slow you respond) and every other day for a couple visits and as you get closer to being ready for retrieval, you need to be monitored everyday. When your follicles are ready, you will take an hcg trigger shot at a very precise time (which is 36 hours before retrieval). This may be subcutaneous or it might be an intramuscular injection (depending on what your doctor prescribes). They will likely check you the next day to make sure the hcg is high enough in your system to mature the eggs for retrieval. Retrieval is usually done under anesthesia and they will be able to tell you how many eggs were harvested after you wake. They will immediately take them to be washed and ICSI'd and you will find out the next day how many fertilized. Usually, depending on the number of eggs and quality, you will do a 3 or a 5 day transfer. A 3 day transfer will put back embryos around the 8-cell stage and a 5 day transfer will put them back at a blastocyst stage. A lot of people prefer the 5 day transfer, but don't be concerned if your doctor wants to do a 3 day. That is very common and also has a lot of success. Hopefully you will have a few that you can freeze for backups (or even better, to try for a sibling later). You typically go about 10 days to 2 weeks in utter panic (aka the 2WW) while you wait to see if the cycle was successful or not. Try to do something to get your mind off everything or you can obsess over every little twinge.

You may want to do hpt's during the 2WW, and if you do, you have to remember that it does take longer for hcg to show in urine so you can get a negative hpt and go to the doctor and get a positive beta bloodtest. Don't do them if you are going to freak out over negatives. If it stresses you less to keep a watch on so that you aren't blindsided with a negative at the beta, then it's a good idea. Personally I could not stand to see another negative hpt in my life and I stayed away from them.

As to the cost, my insurance paid for diagnosis, but nothing for procedures. It really irked me that the same test I had one month to check my E2 levels I paid $3 for with insurance but the next month I had to pay $300-400 for it! Ugh!! Anyway, my fresh cycles cost about $11K (including ICSI and Assisted Hatching) and the meds when I did lupron were around $3K. I also did a cycle that omitted lupron and it worked better for me, but the meds were closer to $4K. When I did my monitoring with my local OB/GYN, the cycle itself cost $1200 less, but I spent closer to $2000 for the ultrasounds and bloodwork. All in all, I would say it cost about $14-15K total for each of the cycles that I did. A couple things you should keep in mind is to shop around for your meds. Pharmacies charge different prices, so you may be able to save some here and there. Some meds may still get covered by insurance if you try it, so file for insurance if you can (the PIO and estrogen I took after transfer were actually covered, I think maybe because they coded for pregnancy support or something other than infertility). Also some clinics have meds donated back to them, so check to see if they do and if you qualify to get some help that way.

Hope that with what Caryn shared helps some!

Good luck!!
iVillage Member
Sat, 10-06-2012 - 10:39am
Hi Lindsay! I just added some answers to your questions in my post above =)