Last date--one year ago

iVillage Member
Last date--one year ago
Wed, 09-05-2012 - 8:11pm

Now I'm not pathetically keeping track in my calendar or anything.  The reason I know is that last year we went to something called "Fashion's NIght Out" and I'm seeing ads that it's tomorrow night.  This event started in NYC as a special kind of event where a lot of stores had shopping events & celebs would go & stuff like that.  Last year Boston had one too--it was actually a fun thing to do.  First we went out for dinner, then we walked over to this street where all the best designer stores are.  They had the whole street closed off to traffic, a car dealer had set up all these expensive cars to show in the street, there was live music & stuff like that.  I do remember that even though we did talk pretty freely during dinner, it was still a little effort--not very relaxed like with friends.  This was our 3rd date--but it had been quite a few months since the 2nd one.  We had met on line, went out and then he never called, then he located me again on line & asked me out again--I shouldn't have given him the 2nd chance.  Well we had met up downtown, I was parked nearby so I offered to give him a ride to his car--I expected him to at least kiss me good night, but he didn't.  He had told me that the next week he was having minor surgery so then I called him the night before to wish him good luck with that.  He kept saying how nice that was and that he would call me after he felt better--but never did.  Also, I told him he had left his umbrella in my car.  I guess he really didn't want to see me since he didn't even come to get his umbrella.

I am not really missing this guy.  He was nice enough, had a good paying job, owned his own home and seemed like a good person, family oriented.  Yet he was over 50, never been married because he was "scared."  That didn't phase me that much since I'm not really looking to get married again--but maybe it would also mean that he didn't really know how to conduct a relationship.  I found him a little boring and he was definitely not as smart as me--I don't like it when I have to worry about not to appear too smart so as not to make the guy feel bad.  I really do want someone with  a college education or if they don't have one, someone who is well read, up on current events, or at least seems more intelligent.

So in that time, I have pretty much given up on OLD--oh yeah, I do check on the free sites once in a while, but I can't really convince myself to contact anyone first.  They just kind of seem "blah" to me, although in person I'm sure I could find someone nice enough.  I started going out w/ a single parents meetup group--I've only been to 3 events but each time I've had a lot of fun, although no male prospects as far as dates there yet.  I've gone dancing a lot more--met some women through my dance school who like to go out & try new places so I'd say my weekend social life has improved.

So I guess it's been some good & some bad.  I really hope I don't have to wait another year for the next date!

Pages

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-06-2012 - 12:09pm

I just figure that it it's not geared to one age group it could be a bunch of 20-30 yrs olds and I could be the only middle aged person there.  I wouldn't like it if you had to have your user name on there--why not have your first name & then you can just meet like normal people?  If you liked someone you could just give him your phone no--you wouldn't have to go through the site anyway--cause you've alreayd met.  Duh!  Isn't the point of OLD to meet in real life?  I think it would be better to go to just a singles event or meetup group.

Oh one time I did go to this meetup event that my single parents group has--we went to a bar that had a live band & were just dancing & having fun.  So then I was on line and recognized this guy who had been at the event.  I was not trying to get a date from him--I emailed him and just said Hi I didn't know you were a lawyer too (I hadn't talked to him too much that night)--he never answered me.  I thought that was really rude because I really don't want to date him--I haven't seen him since but now I know he's stuck up.

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-06-2012 - 9:59am

haha. I went to a few of those that were on POF.. guess what? We were given name tags with our user name on it from the site. It was okay but truly humiliating..

I did do a miniature golf one and it wasnt as bad.. The leader didnt give out name tags this time and people just mingled.. It was very inexpensive also.. I dont like the ones in bars or dances.. Bad enough you just sit around and wait for someone to ask you to dance..

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-06-2012 - 9:58am

Ha!  I never even considered that possibility.  That would be awkward!

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-06-2012 - 7:23am

Since I'm on Match again, I got an invite to one of those mixer things (I think it's called "Stir"?) OK, so I just can't imagine how excruciating that would be: Oh, look, there's ForPlay8inch over there...oh, and there's the shirtless fat man holding up the fish...look, it's the guy who never called me back...hey, there's the 75-year-old who sent me a nastygram.

Yeah, just the thing I want.

Community Leader
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 10:43pm
I've been told I have a cute giggle. It surfaces most often when I'm really nervous, usually while talking to a good looking man!
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 10:39pm

Yes you would think that in a major city with tons of available men it would be easier to meet someone.  I don't know why it's not.  I know tons of single women in their 30's to 50's so maybe there are so many available women to choose from, men are really picky.  I do know I"m getting tired of it.

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 8:49pm

I'm not good at giggling. That's why I don't like these things :smileyhappy:

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 8:46pm
"Now match even has some kind of mixer thing I saw advertised on TV. Those events just make me sick." I'm sick of the commercials themselves. Next time you catch one of them, notice how many times you see some female giggling. Why aren't the guys having any fun?
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 7:50pm

When people ask what I do. I tell the truth. To hide it  means you think it's important enough to hide. Besides that, to lie is just too complicated.

you'd think that since you're in a metropolitan area, you'd find someone. I used to live in LA. That didn't help much. It seemed the men either have unrealistic standards or odd ones.  I'm going on a singles meetup small hike this weekend. Not much hope there but I like to chat with people in a relaxing setting. I just don't do well in an competative dating situation, like speed-dating or key-lock, whatever...Now match even has some kind of mixer thing I saw advertised on TV. Those events just make me sick.

I just don't get women who just go nowhere and meet guys, in the supermarket, at the gym, etc...

I'm sick of hearing the latest advice from a friend to join a upscale health club b/c her friend met a wealthy guy there. I've never met a wealthy guy who was interested in me. I'm content with a well-educated guy who makes good money and is also good at keeping it. I can't even meet these guys. 

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 7:16pm

Well I think you said you're a doctor, right? Certain guys will just think "Hey she can support me."  I'm a lawyer but not a rich one since I've worked less than full time since I got divorced but I think that happens too.  When I first went on line a guy contacted me who turned out to be a scammer who wanted money (took me a while to figure that out)--I guess those people would look for professional women.  It's curious that the too much older guys don't hit on me--I figured that since all the middle aged guys my age (well, not really all) want to date women young enough to be their DDs, that I'd attract the senior citizen bunch but maybe once in a while I'll get a guy who's a little over 60--I have noticed some guys up to 70 who looked at my profile, but maybe they didn't contact me since the stated aged group I'm looking for doesn't go that high.  I'm already sorry that I signed up again for match since I am having no luck.  It's kind of like well, I'm not getting any dates IRL so I'll try this--there are over 1400 men in my age group w/in 25 miles of me.  Of course I know that includes a lot I wouldn't like, some who are probably married cheaters, etc. but out of that number of people you'd think I'd have better odds.

Pages