Discouraged

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
Discouraged
Mon, 09-24-2012 - 6:23pm

My baby is only one month old and I am completely discouraged.  I'm tired, still not producing enough milk to get rid of formula all together, and I'm sick of being glued to my pump for 8 times a day, 20 minutes at a time.  My supply is dropping for some reason and I am so frustrated.  I would be giving her formula right now if breastmilk didn't provide her the antibodies she needs to help her immune system.  I don't know how you other ladies do it - this is exhausting.

iVillage Member
In reply to:
Mon, 09-24-2012 - 8:09pm
It is so hard in the beginning! Have you tried any supplements to boost supply? If not, you might check out the suggestions in the beginner's guide in the intro section. The first three months are so hard, but it really does get better after that. Do you have multiple sets of parts so you don't have to do as much washing? Do you ever stick them in the fridge in between pumps to also cut down on the washing? Do you have any help from your partner? Is he supportive? If you choose to hang in there, do know that it gets much better down the road. It is just plain grueling in the beginning.

Photobucket</

iVillage Member
In reply to:
Mon, 09-24-2012 - 10:45pm

You might need 30 minutes to get full supply. I`ve had enough milk only when I started to pump 30 min in a time :smileysad: Or you could try somekind of supplements to boost milk supply.

iVillage Member
In reply to:
Tue, 09-25-2012 - 11:09am

I think that it took me 5-8 weeks to start out producing what my LO was eating.  Until then he was getting at least 4-8 ounces a day. The only reason that I stuck with it was because formula seemed to bother his tummy.  I rather put in the time then deal with an unhappy baby.  After I went back to work after 8 weeks, it all did seem to get better.  And much much better after the 12 week mark when I was able to drop pumps.  :smileyhappy:  Hang in there it does get better

iVillage Member
In reply to: igbaby
Wed, 09-26-2012 - 2:56pm

Have you tried oatmeal?  When I added oatmeal cookies to my diet I saw an nice increase.  Oatmeal is not a supplement!  And oatmeal cookies - YUM.  It did take a couple of weeks to notice a difference.  And I ate a whole bunch of them - one batch would only last for a couple of days.  :smileyhappy:  One good thing about pumping = eating.  Make sure that you are eating and drinking enough. Good luck. The first 12 weeks are the most difficult!  

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-27-2012 - 9:17pm

Oatmeal also helps me tremendously. I eat the Quaker oatmeal squares cereal daily, and also add in granola bars. I also do oatmeal cookies. And tons of water. I am at the eight month mark, and pumping about four times a day. It will get easier, and you are doing such a wonderful thing for your baby. Hang in there, and use this board for support.

iVillage Member
In reply to:
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 1:21am
I would make sure you are getting rest, water, and enough food, including protein. It is hard at first, but after about 2 months it started to get a lot easier and now almost 5 months in, it's not so bad. Make sure you have a hands free bra. I also got an extra wall plug for my pump so it was easier to move around the house and to set up at other people's places. I keep batteries for that adapter and bought a car adapter for pumping on the go. I also bought lots of extra bottles off amazon - you can buy the medela bottles in a package of 10. That way, when I am on the go, I just swap bottles and put everything in the cooler and go on. I consolidate later when I get home. That is also what I do now that I am back at work. It was also better when I could sit in front of the computer to pump. The biggest thing for us was getting lo on a good schedule of naps and sleep. That made it more predicable to plan each pump, on top of eating, laundry, dishes, playtime with lo, etc.
iVillage Member
In reply to:
Wed, 04-03-2013 - 2:53pm

I honestly don't know how I'm doing this either. It has been over 2 months since I have slept longer than 4 hours without interruption. I pump every 3 hours (occasionally a 4hour stretch), but I am taking off work. If I were working than this would be too hard. 

iVillage Member
In reply to:
Mon, 04-08-2013 - 7:36am

You can do this! But if you don't want to, remember every little bit you've already given your baby helps! Motherhood presents lots and lots of opportunities for guilt, so don't let this be one of them... you're awesome for making it this far.

Hildazz said 30 minutes. You aren't going to want to hear this, but I take 35-50, but I produce almost twice what my twins need in a single feeding. Can't tell from your post if you've tried this, but rather than watching the clock, try watching your breasts, and pump until you're all out, and then five more minutes. Also try compressions and massage.

Oatmeal, supplements, a nice oatmeal stout beer (I swear!! Oatmeal, malted barley, hops, and brewers yeast are all known galactagogues!) and plenty of hydration and rest, like everyone says. Good luck! It helps me to know I'm not the only one going through it, hopefully it does for you, too!

iVillage Member
In reply to: silkship
Mon, 04-08-2013 - 4:13pm
Totally forgot to mention: the thing that makes the most difference for me on a day-to-day basis, and I'm talking 10-20% difference every pumping session, is whether my bra is constrictive or not. Maybe this is something that will help!