One breast produces much more. How to fix ?!?!

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
One breast produces much more. How to fix ?!?!
Mon, 09-24-2012 - 7:35pm

Hello ladies !

I've been EPing for almost a month now ( DD was born August 31 ). When I pump my left breast usually makes almost twice as much as the right one. I've been doing massage and I usually pump for 25 to 30 minuts. The only thing I can guess is that I always sleep on my right side. Could this one thing really affect production that much ? I'm starting to get a little worried because as it is I am only producing around 2.5 to 3 oz each pumping. I'm hoping that I can keep up the good pumping and throw in a couple power pumps a day to get my production up, but I was just wondering if this happens to anybody else ?

Thanks !

Danielle

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-24-2012 - 8:51pm
It is totally normal to get different amounts from the two sides. If that is your concern, there is no need to fix it.
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-27-2012 - 10:24am

The body does that, but regulates itself later on. If you are applying pressure on your breast while you sleep, that might be one of the causes. That's why it is recommended that nursing moms don't sleep face down while breastfeeding, because the pressure on the chest reduces milk production. If you are still reaching your daily goal of ounces, there is nothing to worry about, milk production varies. In my case both breasts went thru phaces of producing less than the other at some point.

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 1:29am
I found I have uneven letdown. My left always produced less than my right. Then I started adding time between pumps and started pumping longer. All of a sudden, my left would catch up toward the end and would end up producing the same amount. After enough pumps like that, it now lets down much sooner and things are more even from the start.
iVillage Member
Sun, 11-11-2012 - 10:57pm

Same thing happens to me.  I always produce more on the left than on the right.  Best wishes to you.