The importance of an E-Fund...

iVillage Member
The importance of an E-Fund...
Tue, 09-25-2012 - 7:34am

I just got to learn this lesson the hard way...

I took my car in to the dealership two Saturdays ago because the power steering had gone out the day before.  Thankfully I didn't get into an accident.  The power steering motor had died but GM has had a recall out on that part for over a year (it's normally a $400 job) and I finally got around to replacing it.  While I was at the dealership the customer servive agent and the car techs noticed a gas smell and discovered my fuel pump was leaking, $800!!! Thank heaven it was covered by my power train warranty but when the agent told me that I started to cry, all I could think was that I didn't have that kind of money.  Poor guy, after he told me about the warranty he asked if I had a way to get home because they couldn't let me leave with my car and the waterworks started again and I started calling friends to come get me... Ugh what an afternoon that was.

LESSON LEARNED.  We were saved $1200 by warranties and recalls but next time we probably won't be so lucky.  Not to mention I had to have my wisdom teeth removed and that cost $500 we didn't have.  That's not an E-Fund thing though, that's a medical/dental thing.  Either way... saving money has to be a priority too.

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-25-2012 - 10:13am
Thanks for the reminder. I had to spend a few hundred on vet fees for my dog. It's not a true emergency because I know that dogs need to go to the vet, but it wasn't properly accounted for either.
Glad it all worked out for you!

Bex -