Do you see an RE?

iVillage Member
Do you see an RE?
Tue, 09-25-2012 - 9:17am

Hi Ladies,

My Dr. is ready to refer me to an RE and I was wondering- how long did you wait before seeing an RE? We have been ttc for 19 months with no success at all. Is that long enough? I had this idea that I would wait until we had been trying for at least 2 years, but DH is ready to get on with it!

Also, what was that first appointment like for you? Dina, I saw your post from June which was helpful.

Any input you have would be much appreciated! Thank you!

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-25-2012 - 10:01am

My doc referred us to an RE after 8 months due to not knowing what was going on with my cycles, even though both of us are under 30. My GYN thought I had too many factors going on to not see someone that soon because I have hypothyroidism, endometriosis, and had suspected PCOS.

I know mine is not the typical story because the referral and appointment both happened in the same cycle I got pregnant, but my RE was really nice and willing to follow me through the confirmation of the heartbeat. 

Our first appointment was a get to know you and become familiar with our medical and family history. We were going to set up a semen analysis for DH for later in the week depending on my results.  I also had blood tests for my suspected PCOS, thyroid, all the vaccine immunities, and progesterone and HCG because I got a positive that morning. If I had not been pregnant, my next appointment would have been to talk about the results and what the next steps would have been along with an u/s to check my anatomy. I

Highly recommend at least making the first appointment and trying to get a diagnosis, then seeing where you are at.

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-25-2012 - 1:12pm
I got referred to the RE after about a year of trying. We had actually done Clomid for a total of 5 cycles before my appointment with the RE. I had a similar story to Katie's in that I had a positive HPT that morning of my appointment with the RE. I actually had a beta drawn that somehow came back negative and then 4 days later I had a repeat beta that was positive. So when I went to my appointment they ended up doing a patient history and what testing had already been done. They talked about the basics of the clinic and they actually gave us a price sheet of anything out of pocket. We had talked about the insurance I had and that they covered up to diagnosis only. So basically after my first appointment with the RE they said they would have a diagnosis more than likely, for me they were calling it unknown infertility reasons.

I was required to have had my HSG prior to coming to the appointment with the RE. We discussed the clomid and if I wanted to do one more cycle before trying anything different. We also discussed where to go from there, and they were recommending IUI since I'd already done the clomid cycles. I really wasn't wanting to skip to IUI yet and so we set everything up to do a cycle with Femara. We would do a monitoring U/S and then try to do timed BD and a trigger injection to make me ovulate.

I guess I didn't want to wait any longer to start getting help. I just turned 29 in June and wanted to start having my children sooner rather than later. It's different for everyone and how long they want to wait to get help. I think some couples are also more willing to try IUI or IVF sooner and I wanted to wait as long as possible before skipping to more invasive treatments. I also found it helpful to bring my charting with me to the RE appointment. I don't remember if you're tracking O or not, but it's useful to be able to show the RE that your timing has been appropriate to increase your chances. If you are interested and want advice on charting I'd be happy to give you any pointers I can. I hope you and DH can figure out a plan and get some help if you're ready!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-26-2012 - 8:08am

Thanks for the replies ladies! DH at least wants me to call and see if they think I would benefit from having an appointment with them. He's 34 and I'll be 31 this year, and we want more than one, so I do see his point. I am about to start my 4th cycle of clomid, but my spotting issue is persistent, and my Dr doesn't seem to think it's and issue, but I think it is. I definitely O on clomid- my last 2 progesterone levels have been 28 and 29 on 7DPO, which is fantastic! I do keep track of my O dates and when we BD, etc., but I don't temp; I tried that for a few months and I wasn't able to get good sleep because I was too worries about my temps!

So I think I will call just to get some more information. I just feel like it's such a big step, and like you, Dina, I'm not ready to try IUI or anything like that, and I feel like that might be the next step. Unless they can do something about my spotting that is!

Thanks again!

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-22-2012 - 11:01am
Kristin, I just wondered how you were doing and if you had decided to see the RE after all. Hope things are going well!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-23-2012 - 7:58pm

Hello, I am 32 and the hubs is 41, so we feel like we're in a time crunch.  I waited for probably 2 years before seeing an RE because I was hoping that it would eventually happen.  Before going to the RE I tried 3 months of Clomid and got an HSG at the local hospital.  It turned out that the HSG was not performed properly, so they ended up telling me I had a half uterus and only one fallopian tube.  I was devastated.  Once I got to the RE, he did a laparoscopy and everything turned out to be normal.  If your RE performs any of those tests, I suggest having them do it rather than someone who doesn't specialize in the reproductive system. 

Also, I have spotting issues as well and have found that no matter how many doctors I talk to about this issue, they don't seem to offer any solutions.  I did an IUI this cycle and requested Progesterone, which the doctor wrote a script for.  I am near the end of my cycle and haven't had any spotting!!  I'm really excited that something at least fixed that issue, because I can't help but think that's the cause of our "unexplained infertility".

Good Luck and I would suggest to see the RE now!  It's a long process to go through all the tests and determine the right course of action.  We are going on 4 years now TTC with no luck.