Baby Care- How Involved is Your Partner?

iVillage Member
Baby Care- How Involved is Your Partner?
Tue, 09-25-2012 - 10:45am

Figuring out all the new relationships and roles when a new baby arrives can be very challenging. Most new parents are surprised by what they learn about themselves and their partners when a baby comes.

Baby care: 7 ways to get dad involved- http://www.ivillage.com/baby-care-7-ways-get-dad-involved/6-a-129140?ice=iv:mb:msg:kp

Does your DH/SO actively help out with baby care? Does your partner change diapers or get up in the middle of the night? What doesn't he do that you wish he would?

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-25-2012 - 7:46pm
This is our second child, but even with our first he was great about helping with diapers. LO is 11 days old. So far, he changes the diapers before feedings (daytime) and gets baby for me at night so I can BF. He washes the pumping equipment when needed and brings me snacks and water while I nurse. He's still off work, so he watches LO so I can nap during the day without worrying about LO.
I wish he'd try harder to soothe LO. If LO is crying he brings him straight to me saying he's hungry.
All in all he's a keeper :smileywink:
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-26-2012 - 9:50am

Lol about dad always diagnosing baby is hungry! We do that here too. "She's hungry!" "No she's not!"

DH is good about helping out with diapers, burping, and getting her to sleep when he can. Unfortunately he's in school and his schedule is very intense. Today he's taking his fifth exam since she was born 2 weeks ago. His grades have definitely gone down since she was born. We both want him to do well in school so I try to limit his dad duties, especially the day or two before a test.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-26-2012 - 10:57am

My dh helps with the toddler.  That is much easier on me than having him tend to the baby.  Jacob is a handful so he'll change and tend to him.  Since baby is in a bassinet next to my side of the bed, there's really no point in his getting up for her.  I change her right there and bf.  Once she's back to sleep, so am I.  When ds stirs though, he gets up.  I know it isn't easy on him as he's up at 4:30am for work and gets home after 6pm.

Photobucket