16 weeks but measuring at 18!

iVillage Member
16 weeks but measuring at 18!
Tue, 09-25-2012 - 10:48am

Yestreday at my week 16 checkup the Dr measured my uterus and apparently I am measuing 18 weeks not 16. She basically said the baby will probably be larger based on the fact my bf is 6ft and was a large baby himself. But we will see at my US in 3 weeks. But could I also just be farther along than suspected too? I never had a dating US as they don't offer them in BC, so who knows right? and if I am, would that not throw off blood work I've had done since that is done during specific weeks?

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-25-2012 - 11:42am
I measured ahead with both kids...my doc said it sometimes means big baby, sometimes just is way baby is positioned.
my son was 9 pounds 4 ounces a week late, my daughter was 7 pounds, and she is the one that split my abs....so who knows...even an ultrasound for weight they measure around the belly and can be within a pound either way, ie if they say 8 pounds, means 7-9...all a guess. I wouldn't worry.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-25-2012 - 12:34pm

I was told the same thing (that I was measuring larger than my EDD) but they were not prepared to change my dates.  My last son was 9 lbs. 2 oz. so I'm assuming that this one will be big too!

BabyName Ticker
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-25-2012 - 1:40pm

After three pregnancies, I have learned to trust your dates if your periods were pretty regular. I have measured ahead because of the position of the baby only to be right on the next time because he flipped. I also measured big because I have had big babies (9 lbs 7oz, 10 lbs 7 oz, 9 lbs 11 oz). They moved my due date up a whole week after 10 week sono with my first only to have him born a week late. Was he really late or big? I had a sono with this one at 12 wks 6 days and the baby measured 13 wks 5 days. Now, I know I did not get pg at the end of my period and there is no way I am letting them move the due date up. This baby is just already big like my others were. Look at all the info before deciding that you are two weeks further along than you thought. Your baby may end up being "late" then and then you will have to face the dr wanting to induce when it may just not be time yet.

Amy

Mason, Dylan, Logan

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-25-2012 - 2:56pm
With my first I measured 3 weeks ahead at that time. I think I measured ahead the whole pregnancy. They never changed my due date, and he was a normal size. He was 1 week late and was 7lbs 8 oz.
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-25-2012 - 4:26pm
I had my first ultrasound after 12 weeks and the tech said I was farther along than I said, I would think I was later...know my period and did ovulation tests and know when I ovulated and going with a due date 2 days before I ovulated, so think it may be two days after, the nurse and my do said, they wont change due date, but that it could just be my baby growing bigger already, that 6 week ultrasound is accurate for due date but by after 12 weeks baby size is diff...my kids also have long torso's and short legs.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-25-2012 - 8:51pm

Thanks for the replies. I  would rather I be farther ahead than have a larger baby because of my size. My Dr yesterday said if the baby is larger that isn't exactly what were hoping for lol But whatever it is, it is. With todays medical advances I am not overly concerned about someone 4'9"  and currently 90lbs, carrying a large baby lol I only thought maybe I am farther along because my last period on June 4th is somewhat uncertain as far as I am concerned. It wasn't like a normal period. It arrived on time, lasted 3 days like usual, was heavey enough to warrent protection however it was not red or even pink colored. It was totally, 100% brown like old blood.I almost don't want to call it a period.But didn't think anything of it since I had recently been off the pill for just a few months. My cycles were regular but that period was not like normal compared to the two prior which had no change compared to those while on the pill. So doing the math, pushing two weeks back before that period when I would have ovulated, would make me at 18 weeks at this point. So now  it just has me questioning it since I am measuring slightly larger.

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-27-2012 - 1:24am

I figured too because of my size maybe I measure a bit larger, but the doctor literally only mentined a bigger baby as being the reason. Nothing else. O well, whatever happens happpens I guess lol At least my US is only 18 days away.