Is he ready? Or keep doing what I'm doing?

iVillage Member
Is he ready? Or keep doing what I'm doing?
Tue, 09-25-2012 - 11:34am

You all gave me such great feedback about handwriting and it's going ok, he's not too interested so I'm instead focusing on developing those motor skills.  Anywho.....I noticed DS keeps asking what things say...and I mean everything! At night he wants to read a million books....is this a sign he wants to start learning to read? Should I intro him to sight words? Am I jumping the gun here? What did you all do? He's 3 1/2 and will be 4 in April... he has a few books in his library that he has memorized and "reads" to his little brother....that's why I was thinking maybe he's ready to start trying to read?

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-25-2012 - 2:00pm

I had a kid that age that memorized books read aloud to her, yet had a learning disability and did not learn to read until later than most kids do, in elementary school. So that may not be a good indicator. Yet, if you try as in a game or make it fun and your kid does catch on to reading....then no harm done! So it is ok to try, but no pushing will make a child read early, who is not ready or can not do it yet.  Best wishes...

Small motor skills practice is tons of fun for most kids that age as well. Keep up the good work with it!

H.

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-26-2012 - 10:23am
THANK YOU so much! I'm so excited to get started!!
Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-28-2012 - 3:27pm

Hi, it's great that you've decided to follow your child's interests:smileyhappy:

I've started teaching my daughter to read at the age of 3.5 years old by following this program:

http://www.gentlerevolution.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=G&Category_Code=FEATURE

I did not buy materials. I've borrowed the book from the library and made my own big words flashcards. The program takes only few minutes a day but the progress is rapid. My daughter (special needs) took to reading quickly and with great pleasure. We've started reading early because she was not speaking. Her speech came after she started reading and reading was better communication with her at preschool at that time than picture clues. At the age of 7 Anita now has a sight reading vocabulary of over 2000 words and I'm not teaching her new words any more just because most of the time she reads new words correctly by association with the words already known. She hasn't learned phonics yet (that's to come later). She reads 2nd-3rd grade level books with the comprehension behind but on the good way of catching up.

Good luck with your reading adventure. It is exciting when your little child happily takes the new book, reads it and tells you the story:smileyhappy: you are in for some happy moments:smileyhappy: 

Community Leader
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 3:20pm

Ania, you have such an inspiring story.  Anita is a lucky little lady, having a mom who intuitively helps her through the hurdles presented by her special needs.  Keep up the good work!

Sue
Homeschooling mom to DD15 & DS11

CL of Homeschooling, Signature Showcase, Ectopic Loss, and Fertility Charting

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 10:55pm

Thank you:smileyhappy: it's not an easy road but it's the one that we've been put on, so... we keep on going... a little bit like a tortoise:smileyhappy:)) just one step after another:smileywink: but persistent and always forward:smileyhappy:

this message board is a great community - I'm happy I have found it:smileyhappy:

Community Leader
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 8:57am

We're glad you found us, too :smileyhappy:

Sue
Homeschooling mom to DD15 & DS11

CL of Homeschooling, Signature Showcase, Ectopic Loss, and Fertility Charting