anyone have experience with dual teacher classes??

iVillage Member
anyone have experience with dual teacher classes??
Tue, 09-25-2012 - 12:33pm

So went to open house last week and DS is in a combined class. Sorry forget the term they used and keep thinking its emmersion but I know thats for language not special ed, but anyway his class has a general ed and a special ed teacher. Now that I know of there has never been a seperate class for special ed kids at least in the younger grades at his school. He is my oldest so each year its totally new for me. DS is on an IEP and goes to OT and PT and not officially for reading but we have tested and retested. The special ed teacher works with mostly the IEP kids but does help out with the other ones so its not glarinly obvious which kids are special ed. I'm excited because part of my issue last year was his teacher was NOT IEP friendly. Now when school ended last year and they got assignments it was not made known to parents this was the set up. When DS came home day 1 and said I have 2 teachers assumed student teacher. Not sure if this is a new set up again since I have never had a kid go through the schools yet. He did say his is the only class with 2 and I wonder will this be his set up going foward?!?!? or at least for the next 2 years until he starts middle school (same school we are k-8 but they start going to different periods in the 6th or 7th grade)

Anyway will be interesting to see how the year goes. Last year was a bust and his teacher kept saying wait until 4th grade its a HUGE adjustment and even in his IEP meetings we had last year (have been going twice a year since we always end up retesting his reading) the agreed and no one mentioned this set up. As a state we waived out of NCLB and we adopted the core standards so they are making changes so wondering if its something new and hopefully its a good change. Think he needs a good year of school so he is more excited about it!!

Photobucket
iVillage Member

Maybe you are thinking of inclusion?  That's when the sped teacher or TA gives the sped services in the regular classroom instead of the pull out model, when they take kids out to a sped room and have groups there, for their services.  One of the schools I work at moved to inclusion (mostly) last year.  

And one of my own kids had two teachers one year.  Our district allows teachers to job share, in that both can work part time, and they can work out the hours however they want (some do half day every day, or they could have it that one teacher works 2 days and the other teacher works 3 days).  The teacher themselves designate which teacher will get the benefits, both can't get them--usually the one who works the most hours.  

Also the school that is mainly doing inclusion is working on team teaching with the sped teacher and the regular ed teacher, so they are in the classroom a lot and both teachers work with all the kids.  I guess this goes a little higher than inclusion because they do their lesson plan together and run the classroom together.  

“Clearly," said Arthur,"you're an idiot- but you're our kind of idiot. Come on.” 
― Markus ZusakThe Book Thief

iVillage Member
Thank u yes inclusion. Geeze my mind is going. Course it doesnt change much for ds he still gets pulled for OT and pt but I'm hoping the special Ed teacher will fill some gaps. She helps him organize his desk daily and makes sure his homework is written down and legible. Last year teacher expected classmates to check. But more importantly for me she makes sure IEP is followed!!! It wasn't followed that well last year
Photobucket
iVillage Member

That last year teacher is lazy.  It should not be left up to other classmates to do anything, geez!  I am glad your ds is in a better situation this year.  

I find it difficult as a parent on dealing with teachers sometimes.  By the time you figure out how to best deal with the teacher(s) for that year, it's the end of the year and you have whole new issues, new teachers the next year!

“Clearly," said Arthur,"you're an idiot- but you're our kind of idiot. Come on.” 

iVillage Member
It was like dealing with multiple personalities. When the entire team got together to discuss his IEP she was all on board but when they weren't it was like dye didn't know he had one. Granted they have 24 kids to deal with I have one but still it's your job. Was the first year I was really unhappy with his teacher . She did retire end of year which I think was part of it she really checked out last few months
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Are both the teachers in the room together? That sounds ideal to help kids who really need it.

My friend's son had two teachers who were job sharing when he was in first grade. The only reason I can think of that they gave this child to them was because they wanted him to leave the school. He is autistic, and they had determined in Kinder that consistency was key to getting him to function well in the classroom. A different teacher every other day is not consistent, and having an untrained aid was not helpful either.

Had he had what I suspect you have (both in the room together for the most part) I think he would have made it through the year and not been pulled to homeschool.
iVillage Member
Yes, that is inclusion or co-teaching. Many districts are completely eliminating all resource room classes and moving to this. I am a high school teacher. I have done this as both a special ed and regular ed science teacher (dual certs). I think it great for most students. It sounds like it will be for your child, given the negative experiences. However, I would still remain involved to make sure it still being followed. There are still limitations.

Photobucket
iVillage Member

I don't see how you save money by doing resource rooms.  There still have to be teachers and aides to run the class/group in the resource room.  Unless they are greatly reducing the teacher to student ratio and having resource classes with 30 kids and no aides.  Did they amend or change the IEP that says she gets her sped hours in the special ed classroom instead of getting them in the general ed classroom?  If they didn't change it & it says general ed classroom, then they aren't following the IEP.

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 11:30am

Liamsmom, glad you're having a good experience with this.  We're considering pushing for an ICT (inclusion) class as a placement for our younger son, who's currently in a special needs preschool.

Gwen

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc248/gwennyc/b6yfcl.png<A href="http://s218.photobucket