Should towns be able to regulate reality show shoots?

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
Should towns be able to regulate reality show shoots?
Tue, 09-25-2012 - 2:12pm

A New Jersey legislator, Ocean County Assemblyman Ronald Dancer has introduced a bill that would allow towns to have a tighter rein over reality shows shooting within their borders and determine whether producers should chip in to cover law-enforcement costs. He's calling it the Snookiville Law.

Among its provisions, the law would enable towns to impose fees on reality-show producers to help cover the costs of beefing up public-safety measures, including hiring additional police officers for shoots. http://www.eonline.com/news/348597/snooki-law-enforcer-jersey-politico-lobbying-for-snookiville-law-allowing-towns-to-regulate-reality-tv-shoots

What do you think? It makes sense to me.. I don't live in a town where reality shows are filmed, but if I did, I'd balk at having to foot the bill for additional public safety while the network takes in the profits.

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-26-2012 - 5:05pm
It makes sense to me also, it's not fair for the local taxpayers to have to foot the bill for all the chaos that the reality show brings with it. Although some shows don't have as much of an impact, so I think it would depend on the show. How many are like Jersey Shore were they are out partying around the town? I bet the Kardashians will be fighting this :smileywink:

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-26-2012 - 3:08pm
It really makes sense to me too! Can you imagine how much some of those would cost an area? Especially shows that have a huge fan following. I imagine there are spectators galore requiring extra security. The reality shows should have to pick up those costs!