Portion size

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
Portion size
Tue, 09-25-2012 - 2:44pm
I have a 5 week old. So far, she has eaten only breast milk. I'm producing just under 30 oz a day and she is eating about 25 oz a day; so I'm trying very hard to not waste any expressed milk.

I feed her 2.5 oz servings on demand. Naturally the demand has increased. Lately I've been feeding her every 1-2 hours during the day and 3-5 hours at night.

She always finishes her bottle and usually doesn't show immediate signs that she wants more (lip smacking, finger sucking and/or crying). When she does, I feed her more.

She has been gaining weight well. She is now 10 lbs 3 oz and was 8 lbs 1 oz at birth.

I'm wondering if/when I should start increasing her portion size? I know that breastmilk is digested faster than formula... Will increasing portion size (of expressed milk) mean a decrease in number of daily feedings? My fear, of course, is that it won't and I will run out of stored milk.

Please advise.

iVillage Member
In reply to:
Sun, 09-30-2012 - 10:42am

I think you should increase the portion size when she shows signs that she is still hungry, in the meantime if she seems happy then there is no need to offer more. Some babies eat more, some babies eat less and 2.5 ounces is average. As you increase ounces you will be able to go longer in between feedings. My son went from eating 3 ounces every 2.5 hours to 4-5 ounces every 4 hours.