New here. Musically gifted count?

iVillage Member
New here. Musically gifted count?
Tue, 09-25-2012 - 3:01pm

Hi! I have a 5 year old daughter who is musically gifted. Do some of the characteristics and behaviors of the intellectually gifted overlap with one who is musically gifted?

Daughter plays piano, and self-taught by ear mostly. Started lessons a couple of weeks ago and teacher says her ear is incredible -- something many musicians who study all their lives won't have. She can transpose the songs she knows into different keys, and seems to do so first to F sharp. I hardly know what this means, but I know that there is something unique going on here. She can accurately name instruments when she hears them, and has a deep interest in learning cello and violin, too. She cries when she hears certain music, and plays her piano according to whatever emotion she is feeling at the time. She watched Magic School Bus the other day and figured out the theme song on piano right afterward, but not while listening to it. Teacher says she is musically gifted, and I assume so, as well.

ANyway, she definitely has some of the trickier characteristics that seem to go along with intellectual giftedness. She doesn't gel as well with other kindergarten girls, and daydreams a lot, for example. Just wondering if anyone knows whether different types of gifted come with the same type of difficulties. Thanks!

Pages

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-06-2012 - 8:30pm
Oh, that's excellent news, Deborah!
iVillage Member
Sat, 10-06-2012 - 3:52pm
Today the piano teacher problem was solved...the teacher who is no longer teaching telephoned to ask if she could drop some music off at our house (dh and I had talked with her about playing chamber music with her for years but had never got around to it) so we could pick a couple of pieces to work on...and she brought a box of music, and I asked if she would do a favor for me...listen to my daughter play and tell me which teacher she needs. "I'll do it...I've spoken to M (dd18's teacher)...I don't need to hear her play". So they're starting Wednesday after next. I'm so pleased and relieved that dd18 doesn't have to wait any longer.

Deborah
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-28-2012 - 12:32pm
alnut wrote:

Hi! I have a 5 year old daughter who is musically gifted. Do some of the characteristics and behaviors of the intellectually gifted overlap with one who is musically gifted?

Daughter plays piano, and self-taught by ear mostly. Started lessons a couple of weeks ago and teacher says her ear is incredible -- something many musicians who study all their lives won't have. She can transpose the songs she knows into different keys, and seems to do so first to F sharp. I hardly know what this means, but I know that there is something unique going on here. 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Wow, my son sounds just like your daughter! He's had a strong interest in music, especially piano, for years but we never had room for a piano in our tiny home. We recently just bought a keyboard ( I think it has 8 less keys than a piano), squeezed it in, and started him on piano lessons. I literally, just yesterday, texted my husband to tell him that Michael was transposing some of the songs in his piano book to different keys. I was blown away! I also barely knew what that meant, LOL. 

He also displays a lot of those more "challenging " behaviors, such as "spacing out", not doing that well in groups, etc. 

Welcome to the board- glad you found us!

Lisa 

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-28-2012 - 11:27am

Alnut:  First, welcome to the board!  What was your dd like at 3?  Wondering, because my younger ds3 can barely talk and has substantial motor delays, yet constantly sings/hums, and turns almost everything he touches into a drum or musical instrument.  You have never seen a look of glee until you see his face when he visits grandma and grandpa's piano (we live in a tiny apartment, so he's only got a kiddie electronic keyboard at home).  He's been begging to get a violin or cello, and won't leave his older brother alone when he practices.  You can stop a tantrum dead in its tracks by putting on the Hungarian Rhapsody.  Trying to figure out how to work musical learning opportunities with his  developmenetal delays.

Gwen

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc248/gwennyc/b6yfcl.png<A href="http://s218.photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-28-2012 - 11:16am

Mild hijack--Ladybug, we've had a great experience with vision therapy.  M. "graduated" from it this August.  Big improvement in reading stamina, writing speed, behavior, and ability to focus.  Hope it's working for you, too.

Gwen

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc248/gwennyc/b6yfcl.png<A href="http://s218.photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-27-2012 - 11:18am
The problem of having musically gifted kids in an area without higher level teachers is that a less able teacher can do a lot of damage by omission and just plain wrongness. I have a conundrum now: dd18 started piano last year and took six lessons from an older (83) friend who has since moved away. The teacher left specific instructions: she needs to study with either a) this person (who is no longer teaching) or b) this person, whose studio is "full" so won't even give my daughter an audition so that I can figure out how to place her. But given my daughter's piano background, his seems like it should be an easy problem to solve: just find a person with a space in her studio in town and enroll her. Not so fast...she's already far outstripped (in terms of both technique and musicality) the person whose studio is an institution around here. How? She grew up in a musical family. She's been involved in music in one way or another all of her life, although her formal training has been very limited. Piano was not her first instrument. And she's a musical outlier. She does have an "elite" teacher for sax and clarinet...and this year got just five lessons from him because he lives 2500 miles away. My last email from him included this: "I have a great time working with [her], she's enthusiastic and intellectually curious-the best possible combination. I look forward to the possibility of working with her again. By the way I didn't recognize her at first glance this year, I still have trouble seeing students growing up! Also the clarinet is in excellent shape a very good buy." (The clarinet cost $10.) So we go from this extreme...a person whose extremely full studio with only advanced students always has room for her, to the situation where we live now and the kid whose tiny repertoire includes a Mozart sonata that sounds like a recording cannot even get a hearing from the teacher, whose studio is "full" of hothoused amusical eight year olds. Our move here was the thing that changed her professional focus from music to art (and she has a great art mentor here)...but she's still at the stage that she's learning so fast that it would be a mistake to spend the next three months when she's at such a crucial stage with no piano teacher. It turns out that my dh is likely going to be doing contract work (had to get permission) in the same town where dd's old teacher is living now (over 500 miles by the fastest and most dangerous route...the way we drive it would take about 11 hours at the least)...but that would probably be once per month at the most and likely all anyone can stand, as we are all homebodies and don't like to leave what everyone in our neighborhood calls "the mountain" for long. If nothing works out here, maybe we can get some help there. Sometimes (not often) I want to run away to a big dirty city...

Sorry for the vent...actually I'm not. I don't usually feel "entitled", but today I'm acting just like one of "those parents"....even though my daughter is 18 and well able to take care of herself. She's the one who's talked with the teacher...I'm just grinding my teeth on the sidelines.

Deborah
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-26-2012 - 8:14pm
"PS -- she expresses interest almost daily in both violin and cello. (especially cello!) We don't know when to indulge that request. She is only a kindergartener..."

Alnut, depending on her and your schedules and so on, I'd let her try a strings instrument soon. Not being able to play myself, I can say that the range of emotion you can express with, say, a violin or cello is much more extensive than with other instruments. That's admittedly the opinion of a complete amateur! Maybe one of the violin players/teachers like Deborah or Miranda will weigh in with more professional advice.
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-26-2012 - 8:08pm
"Unlike beeblbrx, we have had no access to elite level training; my dd ended up essentially self-teaching both instruments from age 13 onwards."

Miranda, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you a violin teacher? I understand your dilemma out where you live to a certain extent, but tbh sometimes I would have traded any access to "elite" teachers for an ability to, say, even read violin notes! :smileywink:

In general- and this is interesting- almost all the super-duper violin kids around here come from families whose parents play violin. The instrument is simply too difficult to master without help at home. That said, I do know that I'm in a very lucky position for my child - first of all because such programs are available for children who need it and secondly because they are funded by the government, so that all kids have the chance to participate.
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-26-2012 - 6:47pm

PS -- she expresses interest almost daily in both violin and cello. (especially cello!) We don't know when to indulge that request. She is only a kindergartener...

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-26-2012 - 6:46pm

Thanks for your replies. I knew it would be awhile before we "formalize" her lessons, so to speak. I don't really know what to "do" with her, as far as music goes. It will be so nice to be able to chat with BTDT parents.

For now, it's just fun to see what she can do. She learned 3 new songs today at her lesson, and then trascribed them into one or more other keys. (not entire pieces, but the intro and the chorus -- she usually doesn't do the repeats). She takes two lessons a week, too, because the one 30 minute lesson just is not enough for her and I can't help her at all at home. Today she worked on Can Can, Tomorrow, and It's a Hard Knock Life, then threw in the first few bars of O' Christmas Tree as she was leaving, for some reason. She will play these on and off tonight, in a couple of different keys, then move onto something else tomorrow or Friday.

Are there any other resources I should look at? Like I said, we just can't figure out where this came from! I have a step-dad who is a musician, but he is not related, obviously. And my husband and I like music, but almost NEVER listen to it. We listen to talk radio, if anything, but our house is usually just filled with noise from the kids, or else it's totally quiet. TV doesn't even come on much, until kids are long in bed. It's odd to us that she can do this!

Pages