Feeling alone

iVillage Member
Feeling alone
Tue, 09-25-2012 - 8:01pm

I really need support and understanding from other women who are struggling with fertility issues. I am feeling very alone and invalidated by others.

My husband and I have been TTC for over a year with no success. We recently saw a fertility specilaist who prescribed me Clomid. I was so hopeful that we would fall pregnant this month as tests showed I had ovulated. However, like every month before I got my period. I even did two pregnancy tests as my period was unusual and I hoped it was breakthrough bleeding. Both came back negative.

Every month I feel like I go through a grief and loss process when I find out I'm not pregnant. I try and try not to think about falling pregnant but it consumes my thoughts. My husband feels like there is excessive pressure on him, so I try not to talk to him about it all. Family tell me to just relax and let it happen - which is easier said and done. I feel like I have no one to turn to.

I'm driving myself crazy and am really struggling to cope with it all. Every month I perceive normal hormonal fluctuations to be evidence that I am pregnant, just to have my hopes dashed time and time again. I am finding myself resentful of people who are pregnant or have babies because it seems so easy for them to have a family. To make it even more difficult, I just found out my sister-in-law is pregnant. They had major fertility issues as my brother-in-law is in remission from prostrate cancer and underwent chemo. I know I should be happy for them, but I cried when I found out. I thought 'how come even they can fall pregnant?" I feel like a terrible person for thinking this way.

I just needed to get this all out...

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-26-2012 - 4:35pm
Big (((HUGS))) coming your way, I'm sorry that you have been trying for so long. Honestly, that "just relax" comment needs to just get banned. That is the worst thing you can say to a woman, because it's just not that easy. Don't feel bad for how you feel, you have a lot of pain that is very hard to deal with, and you can only do so much. I'm sure other members will be along soon to offer their support, vent away. That's what we are here for!

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-26-2012 - 6:29pm

I'm so sorry you're having so much stress over this.  It is so hard every month to get that negative test.  You are not alone at all and many of the ladies here will attest to that.  Our journies are all different but the goal is the same for us all. 

I'm sorry you're getting the "just relax" spiel from your family  Although family tend to mean well, it is said with little understanding of the issues you are facing.  Melissa is right - it should be banned!  You are completely justified to feel the way you do and I hope you can come here to talk and vent about what's going on.  The ladies here are also a great resource to ask questions about fertility treatments and alternative treatments that they've tried. 

I still feel jealous of other folks who find getting pregnant so easy.  We had so many years of tests, treatments and heartbreak on our road to parenthood that it still stings to see others get it so easily. 

I hope you'll feel welcome here and get some support and information that helps you!

Heather

~ Meron born 12-09-11 after 3 1/2 years of TTC, IUIs and IVF.
~ #2 on the way(!) and due 06-06-13.

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-27-2012 - 7:59pm

Thank you for your kind words and support. It means so much to me.

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-27-2012 - 8:00pm

Your support and kind words mean a lot. Thank you,

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 12:28pm

I get it.

I've also been trying to get pregnant for over a year and it get's increasingly more difficult emotionally as the months go on. It's impossible to not think about it daily because, as the woman, you're the one that has to pay attention to your body, pee on ovulation tests, take prenatal vitamins, get your period, go to the doctor............... And to make matters worse, when you find out you're not pregnant, you're on your period which means you're more hormonal which makes it even harder. It's like a mean joke that nature is playing on us.

I also think that it's normal to feel lonely in this for the same reason...as the woman, you have to do so many things that the man doesn't have to do. It's also not so emotional for the men so they don't understand what it's like for us. We have to really explain it to them in detail.  Without a detailed explanation, most men don't fully understand why we're so emotional throughout the TTC process.

I have also had friends and family members recently get pregnant within 1-2 months of trying. Although happy for them, my sadness for me overwhelmed me. I had to let myself sob.  It's painful. I think the fear of never being a mother is the underlying feeling that makes the process so difficult.

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-04-2012 - 7:03pm

Cestca, your experience is nearly identical to mine, which is very comforting. It is so nice to have someone understand what you are going through. I really hope that fate smiles upon us and blesses us with a child soon.

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-06-2012 - 8:17pm
You are not alone in this battle. I read your post and have the same problems. We have been TTC for 3 1/2 yrs and I hear the "just relax" comment often and would like to smack the people that say it. I would like for someone to just say "that sucks" so that I could feel some validation, but people who didn't have a hard time getting pregnant don't understand what we go through every day dealing with this. I am going to be 33 soon and after another try or two of IUI, I think we are going to spend the bucks for IVF. It's been a real struggle to determine if fertility treatment is the right thing to do. It's a real mind game to weigh pros and cons every day for years when most people only think about getting pregnant for a couple weeks if at all. I don't have a lot of encouragement for you since I'm struggling myself with what seems like no hope in sight. I wish you luck and suggest you see a reproductive endocrinologist because I found my ob/gyn office to be disappointing because even they didn't know what to do or say. It sucks to go through this and I'm sorry!
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 12:35pm
Hey there! I think all of us, at one time or another, could have written this message. Some of us have had success, and some are still waiting. But we know exactly where you are coming from and dealing with. It's so hard to be struggling with IF when everyone around you seems to be PG. You can turn on the tv or go online with hearing about some celebrity being preggo either. And do not get me started on Facebook, that's the worst!! I'm not sure if you have a RESOLVE meeting anywhere close to you, but I have recently started attending an Infertility Support group at my hospital and it's been quite beneficial. It's only once a month, but I really look forward to going. It's the one place I can go and know that these people "get it". Some of us in the group have been trying for quite some time, and others are just starting out....but everyone understands where you are coming from, and that can be a very comforting thing. I highly recommend it. Good Luck to you, and keep us posted. :smileyhappy:

Jemma (35) and DH, (37). Married October 13, 2007 and TTCing since April 2008. Dealing with PCOS, swollen tubes, and also MFI. Committing myself to getting healthy and losing weight in preparation for IVF later in 2012.

iVillage Member
In reply to: cestca
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 10:53pm

The support group is a good idea. I just booked a therapy appointment today with a therapist that has experience with people dealing with infertility. I've never been to a therapist before but I'm very pro-therapy and think that it will help me (and my husband) to deal with this. I feel myself withdrawing...not wanting to talk to friends/family because of how difficult this is right now and, from what I've read, many women do the same when dealing with infertility. So, my hope is that therapy will help me talk about it, learn from it, accept things as they are, and make the best decisions for me/us.

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-11-2012 - 7:40pm

Since joining this group, posting and getting feedback I have felt better. It is so normalising and validating to hear from others going through the same thing.

It is great to hear people are pro-therapy. As I am a Clinical Psychologist, it has taken me a long time to make the decision to seek my own therapy. A support group is a great idea and I will look around and see if there is anything in my area.

Why does it have to be so hard?!

Pages