Any Teachers?

iVillage Member
Any Teachers?
Tue, 09-25-2012 - 8:48pm

I am a longtime substitute teacher who has been anxiously awaiting a full time teaching job.  The area I live in is very competitive and it's normal to wait years and years before a job comes along.  I'm now in my 8th year as a substitute teacher, and while I feel very grateful to have a long-term placement for the school year, it's not a guarantee for a permanent position after this year ends.

We've been waiting to TTC until I get a full time teaching job (if we can hold out!) because I currently have a crazy schedule working two jobs and still make a pitiful amount of money yearly.  DH and I need a better financial situation and for me to be able to work only one job and have some stability in my life before we TTC.  My question to all you teachers is, what happens if I were to get a position full time and then needed to take a maternity leave before I get tenure (usually 3 years after that).  I'm approaching 30 and I don't want to wait much longer to TTC, but I don't want to jeopardize a job that I've waited so long to get.  I guess legally the district can't really do anything but I'm wondering if it's frowned upon or what repurcussions could result from it. In the districts I sub for, it appears in the contract that a teacher can take off up to a full year without pay as a parenting leave.  I'm just picturing if DH and I could afford it, we'd love for me to be out as long as possible, possibly missing a whole year if we could do it...but if I don't have tenure yet, will that even be an option?

If a full time position doesn't come around by next fall, we may just go ahead with TTC.  I figure, I could continue subbing and when interview time came around in the spring I'd be hugely pregnant so it'd be obvious in an interview and they could make their decision knowing the situation full well. 

Just looking for personal experiences or info.  Thanks! 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-25-2012 - 9:24pm
Erin - I'm not a teacher... but there are a TON of teachers over on the WTT Grad board. you might want to post this question over there.
Photobucket