Doctors Should Screen Adults for Alcohol Misuse

Administrator
Doctors Should Screen Adults for Alcohol Misuse
Wed, 09-26-2012 - 8:57am

According to this Health Day News article a doctor asking questions could do a lot of good for those who misuse alcohol. "A U.S. government advisory panel recommends that primary care doctors ask patients about their drinking habits and provide counseling to those who misuse alcohol.

The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force found that screening and intervention can help adults aged 18 and up who drink more than the recommended amount of alcohol cut back. However, the panel concluded there was not enough research on people under 18 to recommend for or against screening and counseling." more

Your thoughts? Would it have helped you?

Karla
Community ModeratoriVillage.com

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 12:38pm
"Would it have helped you?" Absolutely not. Because I would never be forthright about my drinking. My doctor did ask me how much I drank and I lied. Like all alcoholics. No screening or intervention was going to work. I had to do it. I had to come to that conclusion.
Community Leader
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 2:40pm

The intro forms for my Drs have asked about alcohol use, but the DRs have never followed up with a question. Some doctors, since I have been sober, have not even listened when I asked not to have certain medications. When I had my gallbladder removed, I asked for the least amount of pain medication and no refills. I was given enough hydrocodone for 30 days AND THREE REFILLS!

Drs. won't even if they should.