Are there pros and cons to aging?

iVillage Member
Are there pros and cons to aging?
Wed, 09-26-2012 - 11:18am

I think just about everyone knows the bad things or cons about aging, but are there any good things (pros)? My mother is going through an age crisis and I wondered what I could say to her about aging.

Jenn

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-27-2012 - 11:50am

I can tell you what I used to tell my mom...

Growing older means you have more wisdom and life experiences -- and because you're my mom, you're always willing to share that with me. And now that I'm older, I have enough sense to listen a lot better than I did as a kid! And, because you're grandma, my kids often take what you say a lot more seriously than me saying the same thing.  

It always seemed to me that my mom had a different connection with my kids than I did -- simply because they were in awe of all she'd done in her life. She could tell them stories of her experiences that related to their own but because she was grandma, they never saw it as lectures... but they totally related to it all.

One other thing I told her that she really seemed to get a kick out of was that with growing older should come the freedom to do things you always wanted to do, without feeling the need to justify your decision to anyone. Of course, her big rebellious move was usually something as simple as having ice cream for dinner, but she felt that was totally wicked! LOL

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-28-2012 - 12:59am
  • You can enjoy your grandkids and then give them back when you have had enough.  LOL  Wish my inlaws would take my two on occasion. 
  • If she looks younger than she is, tell her about that. 
  • And let's not forget the freedom to do what she wants.
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-28-2012 - 1:02am

I am an older mom.  I had a surprise when I was thinking about planning my retirement within the next decadeof my life.  So my kids get to see things like that.  One of my daughter's favorites is "It's Backwards Day!"  We have dessert and then the entree.

Community Leader
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 9:43am

I actually love it!

When I turned fifty, it felt even more freeing...:smileyhappy:...

Maybe because my beloved Mom had a heart attack and died at a fairly young age.

My dd and ds were very young and I ended up less than a year later a Single Mom after my ex and I separated and divorced.

They have kept me young, but I have ALWAYS been young at heart!

After my heart attack at forty-nine I just am so happy to be here and still alive.

I look at Life differently and think of it as a second chance...kwim?

<3

I love eating dessert first, my kids thought that was cool!

Nightangel