New York's Sugary Drink Ban - Will it make a difference?

iVillage Member
New York's Sugary Drink Ban - Will it make a difference?
Wed, 09-26-2012 - 1:18pm

Earlier this month, New York voted 8-0 to ban the sale of sugary drinks in sizes exceeding 16 oz in most places where they are sold except grocery stores and convenience stores - meaning that fast food outlets, and theatres, and other vendors will be limited to the 16 oz size drinks.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/09/13/us-usa-sugarban-newyork-idUSBRE88C0Y220120913

Do you think that it will have any effect on overall obesity levels? Do you often buy drinks that exceed the 16 oz size? What are your thoughts?

iVillage Member
What an interesting concept - I'm not sure how I think it will play out but I'd certainly love to revisit this issue in 12 months and see if it's had an impact. Did you read that diet soda's aren't considered part of the ban which is just to bad because it's not like they are any better than sugary drinks - yes they might curb obesity but cause cancer - whatever!

I don't often buy soda but when I do it's a 16oz bottle - seems thats the standard size but I have noticed that in the last year the soda sizes seemed to have gotten larger - the liter size I think?
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Carrie I agree that the bottles of pop have gotten larger - no longer 500 ml they are now standard 750 ml. And I hate that they didn't include diet pop because diet soda consumption is actually a better predeterminant of obesity than regular pop consumption - it sets your body up for sweet intake and then because it doesnt' get actual sugar, you continue to crave it.

I will be interested to see if there is any result from the ban. I rarely buy pop, and am much more likely to buy regular bottled water, or sparkling water. I'm just not a huge fan of pop.

iVillage Member

If a person really wants more soda, they will get more soda even if it means buying 2x 16oz servings instead of 1x 32oz soda. This will have minimal, if any effect on people. The state needs to get its noses out of the babysitting old people business. Sure, its a noble effort to remove soda from schools, but adults have the capacity to understand what harms their bodies, be it smoking or eating junk food or drinking sugary sodas. Will power and want for change is the only thing that defeat our bad habbits. Limiting portions will have the effect of people buying more portions, and raising taxes will not deter people (ie: cigarettes)

iVillage Member
I do know that some people will remain undeterred by any means to limit choices - whether it be for cigarettes, junk food, or the like. I'm not opposed to it, but will be curious to see if it actually has any affect on obesity rates - if people are going to make poor eating choices, they will find a way regardless of laws!

iVillage Member
I think the people who are currently buying the sugary drinks will simply buy more of the smaller size that will soon be available. Some fast food venues tried this with the whole super sizing of fries thing. When it was all the rage to have super large orders of fries some of the fast food joints simply quit super sizing and just offered standard sizes small, med, and large. Then what happened was people who wanted a super sized order simply bought more than one large order. If that's how they want to spend their money it's fine with me.
Follow me to Coping with Job Loss

Follow me to Birth Control

--------