YA is not like it used to be!

Community Leader
YA is not like it used to be!
Wed, 09-26-2012 - 3:00pm

I was looking at a book and ventured into the YA section of the site. Granted, I'm not afraid to read a YA book (BIG Twilight and Harry Potter fan) but wow. There are sooo many books out there in the fantasy section. Not like it was when I was aged for YA. 

I see a lot is romance. What age do/would/did you let your kiddo read YA? I was always reading at a higher level so I was reading beyond YA as a YA. But I think if I had some of these choices... :smileywink:

My son isn't a reader, which saddens me, so I'm not dealing with this. But it has me thinking about my DD (who is only 15mos now) and what will be out when she's in YA range. :smileyhappy:

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-27-2012 - 11:10am

I personally think 16 for most Young Adult at the youngest with what is out there today. It's no worse than any tv shows aimed at teens but still, I would not be real comfortable with a younger child reading the kind of romance and romantic encounters described in detail in many of those YA books on the shelf right now.

Brenda

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-27-2012 - 10:24am

I so agree with you; there's so much more in the YA section now than there was when I first started looking with my oldest son (now 30). Back then, it was more or less a bunch of "Choose your own adventure" books, with a few Babysitter's Club books thrown in. Now the fantasy section, especially, has exploded and the romance is -- wow!

As for what age... I think it just depends on the books. For instance, my youngest son, who is 14 now, has been reading some YA books since around 9 or 10 --- Harry Potter, for one. He also loved James Patterson's Maximum Ride series. I do steer him toward some books, but as his age now, I tend to let him read what he chooses.