Q'sOTD - subtle roll call

iVillage Member
Q'sOTD - subtle roll call
Wed, 09-26-2012 - 3:21pm

Leave your first name, then tell us:

1.  the name of your very first pet

2. how old you were when he/she came into your home

3.  what kind of pet

"It is with a strange malice / That I distort the world." -- from The Weeping Burgher by Wallace Stevens
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-26-2012 - 3:22pm
Pat

1. Pepe (had many before, but they weren't "mine."

2. eight

3. kitten

"It is with a strange malice / That I distort the world." -- from The Weeping Burgher by Wallace Stevens
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-27-2012 - 12:46pm

Rose

We had a family pet named Barky (which I wrote a children's story about) but my very first pet to call my own was

Mr. Tobias

I was around 7 or 8

he was a yellow tom cat who patiently put up with me dressing him up in doll clothes

Poetry contains almost all you need to know about life

--Josephine Hart

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-27-2012 - 1:28pm
Glad you showed up -- thought I was alone in here. Just me or is PW unbearably slow?
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-28-2012 - 10:23am

Roberta

1.  We had many pets in our family when Iwas little - none specifically "mine", whose fate rested on my sole responsibility. I think the first pet  I remember was named Spotty. Or maybe Stripey - the two of them came into our house at about the same time, but I think Spotty was first.

2. I was very young - maybe about 3 or 4 years old. That was a VERY long time ago. "Back then, we used to wear onions on our belts..."

3. Spotty and Stripey were kittens.  They then turned into cats. Does that  (they) count as (a) new pet(s)?

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-30-2012 - 7:09am

Oh, oh, do I have to be a pet person to answer this roll call? At the moment we have four watchdogs, but they're not pets.

I remember vividly the day that my parents called me to ask me to tell my cat-loving sister that they had taken the cat to put her down (can't remember why). I remember asking why I had to tell her, and they said I was good with words and could explain it better. Well, the result was that she didn't speak to me for a month. Talk about killing the messenger.

SO--that's my pet memory! And yes, PW has been very, very slow!

Jackie

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-30-2012 - 7:33am

This Outside Dog

There's no one else to feed him

so he loves me.

He leaps and wags his hips

when I appear.

He follows on my walking track.

and when I sit

he still is near.

Even

I have failed to feed him willfully

and yet

he leaps and wags his hips when I appear.

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-30-2012 - 8:40am
That's terrible! Not a pet memory I would want ... lol!
iVillage Member
Sun, 09-30-2012 - 8:42am
" ... and yet / he leaps and wags his hips when I appear." That's what I love about dogs: their bottomless reserve of forgiveness.
iVillage Member
Sun, 09-30-2012 - 8:14pm

.Jazus!  Not my first name, but close.

1.  "Dinky .

2. Can't remember.

3.  A dumb cat that got run over and ended up in the local canal, flat as a do-it-yourself  project.