"Tis the Season For Flu Shots

iVillage Member
"Tis the Season For Flu Shots
Wed, 09-26-2012 - 4:48pm

What is your opinion on flu shots?  Will you be getting one for yourself and/or for your kids?

Here is a link to the governement's page on the flu vaccine if you are looking for more information: 

http://www.flu.gov/prevention-vaccination/vaccination/index.html

Pages

Community Leader
Wed, 09-26-2012 - 5:20pm

I don't do shots at all, so I don't do flu shots.

I have read that those who get the flu shot are more likely to get the flu. As an anecdote, my husband used to get the flu shot every year before I met him. He would also get the flu every year.

I convinced him not to get the shots, showing him the research I had done. He hasn't gotten the flu since...

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-27-2012 - 12:55pm
My family gets them every year, and think that it's kept my kids from being out of school like other kids are for weeks at a time.

Chelsea

"Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open."

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-27-2012 - 1:02pm
I have found the opposite of what you are claiming. My kids get the shot every year and have only two have come down with the flu. That was last year and I'm pretty sure it's because they got them too early in the season. Even though two of them got it, it only lasted for just over a day, which is much less time missed from school compared to some classmates who were out a week.

Have you ever considered that your husband just wasn't as healthy before he met you, and his immune system just wasn't as good? Also, did he truly have influenza and not just a stomach bug, was he tested for it?

Chelsea

Community Leader
Thu, 09-27-2012 - 1:30pm

Certainly possible, that's why they are called anecdotes - and one person's anecdote can cancel out another's. :smileyhappy:

But it still won't change my mind. I have read enough research to be comfortable with my decision - for my family..

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-27-2012 - 1:43pm
So you really can't say for certain that your husband had the flu every year when he got a flu shot, correct?

Chelsea

Community Leader
Thu, 09-27-2012 - 2:00pm

Since I did not know him then, no I could not possibly know 100% that he had the flu each year. But he reports that within a few of weeks of getting the shot each year, he would be sick with the same symptoms being attributed to the current flu going around.

Anecdotal evidence, as I said... proves nothing...

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-27-2012 - 4:45pm

I'm taking it because I am a single mom of a five year old and can't afford to have the flu. 

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-28-2012 - 2:14pm
You can get flu vaccines without thimerosal:

The single-dose units are made without thimerosal as a preservative because they are intended to be opened and used only once. Additionally, the live-attenuated version of the vaccine (the nasal spray vaccine), is produced in single-dose units and does not contain thimerosal.
http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/vaccine/thimerosal.htm

Do you have any backup for the claims you are making about thimerosal? The link I provided from the CDC says it is at a safe level, so curious where you are getting your information.

Chelsea

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-28-2012 - 2:17pm
I never said it was a cure all, and do realize they have to do their best to identify what strains will be the worst for the next flu season. Were you actually tested for influenze, or just assuming that some virus was actually the flu? Again, do you have backup data for your claim that they end up being wrong?

Chelsea

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-28-2012 - 2:17pm
lillybbee wrote:

We got the flu every year we got the shot -- mildly to severely. No shot? No flu.

It isn't the cure-all that they say it is. The percentage of flu strains it actually focuses on are sometimes last year's strains or what they guess will be the strain this year, and they end up being wrong. It's a HUGE moneymaker for doctors and pharm industry though.

No, it's not the cure all. But I'm curious if you were tested for the flu or you're just guessing it was the flu. Big difference. As really bad colds and infections can mimic the flu, you can't be sure unless you're tested.

We all get the flu shot. I've been getting it for I think 10 years now. Maybe before that? A long time, anyway. I always got sick the week between Christmas and New Years before it (can't say it was the flu or not) but after I started getting the shot that stopped.

Pages