crying over everything @ 5/6yrs old??

iVillage Member
crying over everything @ 5/6yrs old??
Wed, 09-26-2012 - 5:06pm

I need some input about Naomi! She is in general a very mature, great kid, we've never had any behavior problems with her. But at age 5 she started to get really emotional/dramatic about things. She cries about EVERYTHING. She just turned 6 and is so sulky all the time it's awful!

A friend of ours who is a 1st grade teacher said that one of the biggest things she has to teach 1st graders is to "toughen up". She knows it sounds mean but to have 30 kids in your class and they all come whining or crying if they bump their foot, or someone doesn't want to play their game or it's time to switch activities, she says this is the age they have to learn to deal with it without falling apart. That makes a lot of sense to me! and it's very much how we run our house. NO WHINING. But I can't seem to get a handle on her. She's starting to complain that her life is terrible around others and I'm worried it makes me look like a bad mom! When really she's crying because we wouldn't let her stay up past bedtime and watch star trek with us! or because she doesn't want to eat her healthy meal! or because it's not a good time to go to her friend's house. UGH

anyone else find this a really trying age? It's like I have a cry baby on my hands :smileysad:

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-05-2012 - 10:42pm
glad I'm not alone! but sorry for both of us!

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 10:24pm
OMG yes. Addie will be 6 in Feb and is very dramatic about everything! Can't correct her about anything, she can't have a disagreement with her brother, can't bump her knee, without a melt down. No suggestions, just saying your aren't alone!
Lilypie - Personal picture
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-28-2012 - 8:56am
No, but I have an 11 year old DD that cries over everything-LOL!!:smileywink:
OMG- I know the hormones are coming but it is crazy!!

(((HUGS))) Jen, every child is so different. I hope it is just a phase she is going through. It can be so hard!
Photobucket >Blinkie Maker
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-27-2012 - 6:42pm

great article! thank you! I don't know why I didn't think of her as being overly sensitive before, but it makes sense. I was a bit that way as a child too. I'll definitely be using some of the tips!

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-26-2012 - 10:49pm

I wish I had advice for you--- but I don't have that problem with Ava....   Occasionally she'll have a holey moley meltdown-- but it's like 2-3 x a year  (ie. the recent no necklace w/ her school picture)...

Maybe you will find something useful in this:

http://www.education.com/magazine/article/Raising_Sensitive_Child/

Regardless--- YOU ARE AN AWESOME MOM.... so, don't take it personally... !!!   (i know, so hard to do).   (((hugs)))

Photobucket