How much exercise do you really need?

iVillage Member
How much exercise do you really need?
Wed, 09-26-2012 - 5:20pm

http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=44531&sc=3040

Exerciser

(partial exerpt)

Many of us think about exercise in terms of the clock, as in, "I ran for 25 minutes." Your body, however, only cares about the stress and the effects of the activity.

Your wristwatch may say you've worked out for 45 minutes, but your body may judge that it was barely 15. Inefficiency is the culprit.

Socializing, moving too slowly or resting for too long reduces the intensity and effectiveness of an exercise plan.

To avoid this trap, you should know how much exercise your body really needs to get appreciable, motivating results, and you need to make sure that your body gets it — regardless of what the clock or your workout journal tells you.

Here are the three keys to making exercise work for you:

(click on link above for rest of the article)

Powered by CGISpy.com
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 3:42pm

This is a great reminder! I know I'm guitly of just judging by how long the clock says I've exercised. In reality, I probably spend just as much time trying to catch my breath, answering a phone call, etc in between each set of jump ropes than I do actually jumping rope. 

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 4:05pm
Good article, it really hit home with me. I need to focus on how effective my exercising is versus how long I did it for. Thanks!
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-02-2012 - 4:26pm

Great article; I was especially interested in how to determine whether your exercise level is low, moderate or intense. That will definitely help me make my walks more of a truly beneficial workout. :smileyhappy:

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-12-2012 - 8:17am
Hmmm. I am 66, have type 2 diabetes, high cholesterol and triglycerides, had 4 way cardiac bypass surgery. I have found that for me, exercising longer at a lower intensity lowers my blood sugar, blood pressure, cholesterol and greatly reduces my triglycerides. I do work up a sweat eventually, but most exercise professionals would tell me I'm not exercising hard enough. My doctor is very pleased with my results!

Carol
iVillage Member
Sat, 10-13-2012 - 8:37am
CS_carolsue wrote:
Hmmm. I am 66, have type 2 diabetes, high cholesterol and triglycerides, had 4 way cardiac bypass surgery. I have found that for me, exercising longer at a lower intensity lowers my blood sugar, blood pressure, cholesterol and greatly reduces my triglycerides. I do work up a sweat eventually, but most exercise professionals would tell me I'm not exercising hard enough. My doctor is very pleased with my results!

I'm also have, type 2 diabetes and high cholesterol, but no bypass. I have about 25 lbs to loose.  I've been going to WW's for 4 months and have only lost a few pounds.  I have a sweet tooth, that does me in. I also exercise at low intensity, but found I'm getting about 15,000 steps in a day.  I guess it's not enough to loose weight, but at least I'm not gaining.