Oh, the potential problems!

iVillage Member
Oh, the potential problems!
Wed, 09-26-2012 - 6:20pm

Our wonderful Superintendent of Public Instruction has another great idea. Instead of the state taking over failing schools that do not meet NCLB standards he wants authority to take over the entire district! 

So my immediate reaction is what will happen to the successful schools? The takeover law requires that the administration and teachers be replaced/reassigned and new programs developed to improve instruction. Can you see this also happening to successful schools? Why do they need to interfere with the whole district? Why would they want to? How could this benefit all schools in a district?

In this district our inner city low socio economic schools struggle. What a shock! They have creative programs in place for longer school days, longer school year, alternative calendar/year round schools, increased professional development, intensive remediation, after school tutoring, community-based philosophy, parental involvement, early literacy and more.  Despite all of this most show some improvement but continue to fail. What would the state do differently? What's the magic solution that can fix the whole district? I can't see a lot of good coming from this proposal.

He also wants new charter schools and vouchers, tighter collective bargaining controls and a new school accountability system. He has already stripped teachers of their bargaining rights for everything but salary and benefits, made half of the evaluations based on test scores,  launched the biggest voucher program in the country. How much tighter can bargaining restrictions get? No rights?  How can teachers become more accountable? Everything wrong is all our fault and we receive no commendation for the successes now.  Scary! 

Sherry
Community Leader
Wed, 09-26-2012 - 8:54pm
I want to see the state take over a school....so we can all watch them drown and flounder and get eaten alive because they don't know what they're doing. That's what it's going to take for them to realize that educators are the ones who should be educating and making decisions pertaining to teaching, not politicians or state officials.

They think they can do better? Let's all watch them try. (Insert evil laugh here!)
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-27-2012 - 10:22am
I have nothing to add to Shywon's response. BRILLIANT and devious!

Express!
Beth "Petrouchka"
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-27-2012 - 5:27pm

Yeah! They know better....sure they do! The sad part is that until something changes and we make the parents accountable it doesn't matter who is in charge. These schools and kids will continue to fail because teachers can't do it alone. The state can replace every teacher, provide all new admins, change every rule, initiate every fad program they can find, and test, test, test, but how will this change the students' readiness to learn, the student's home lives or the involvement and support from the parents?

On the flip side, we keep getting these movies where the parents care so much and take over the schools from the horrible teachers and admins. I keep wondering what would happen if the state handed the failing schools to the parents of the children enrolled there and made them develop and implement a plan to solve the school's problems.  Now that could be interesting!

Even better let's let the parents work with the state know-it-alls as a team to fix it all. Can you visualize the first meeting? I wonder who would wave a white flag first? :-) 

Sherry
iVillage Member
Sat, 09-29-2012 - 9:58am

Sherry, on a related note, I thought I would share with you that today, I am going out to see "Won't back down" out of morbid curiousity.  I'll let you know how evil it is.

Express!

Beth "Petrouchka"

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-29-2012 - 4:30pm
Looking forward to your critique!
Sherry