Nail polish?

iVillage Member
Nail polish?
Wed, 09-26-2012 - 7:35pm
So my friends MIL painted her baby girls toenails while babysitting the other day - my friend was outraged as she said it was inappropriate on a baby and very Toddlers and Tiaras-esque. I just found it funny. What does everyone think about stuff like this on babies/little girls? (Nail polish, makeup, fake hair, etc) *just looking for different viewpoints - no bashing/arguing)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-27-2012 - 1:35pm

I personally think that babies are cute no matter what and they don't need all the extra stuff.

As far as nail polish goes, I would love to paint my 15 month old's toes but still don't feel like she is old enough for it yet.  On an infant it seems even worse because everything goes in their mouth, especially toes.  The baby might be too little to put her feet in her mouth yet but when the polish starts chipping I would be worried about where the chips are going.  They do make non toxic polish made for little ones but I don't think I'll be trying it on my girls for a while although I'm not sure what age is best to start that stuff.

My niece is 4 and my sister does her finger nails which I find really cute so 3 or 4 years old is probably the youngest I would try it at.  I don't think makeup will happen for a very long time unless it is just for silly play time when they are older.

Cynthia

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-28-2012 - 2:23pm
I wouldn't put nail polish on my baby girl but don't think it's inappropriate (as long as it's non-toxic). My older DD is 5 and we've painted her toenails a few times since she was 2 or 3. They just had picture day though at Kindergarten and when I dropped her off, one of her little friends was wearing lipstick. I was a little surprised because it was kind of a bright color...
iVillage Member
Sat, 09-29-2012 - 5:14pm
Hmmm, interesting. I have to admit that I am always shocked when I see little babies that have their ears pierced. Or when I learned that my neighbor's daughter was shaving her legs at 8! But if my JB were a little girl, I might be tempted to paint his toes. He's not yet getting them in his mouth (on his own) but even with the non-toxic stuff I might worry about the fumes. I remember growing up and getting to put makeup on for dance recitals at 4 and 5. I felt so grown up.
iVillage Member
Sun, 09-30-2012 - 9:55pm
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I wouldn't put nail polish on my little girl until she's in middle school. I might do clear or something with a light glitter for dress up or special occasions before then, but that would be rare. I was raised really strict, so some of it stuck. I absolutely hate seeing little girls wearing stuff that's too old for their age. I'd rather err on the side of being strict than too lenient. I've seen firsthand what happens when parents are too loose with the rules. Teaching middle school was traumatic to me!
 BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-01-2012 - 5:26pm

nail polish is ok...the rest no.

and I think the Nail Polish is cute.