Question: Conceiving Twins - Is this really possible?

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
Question: Conceiving Twins - Is this really possible?
Wed, 09-26-2012 - 7:47pm

I'm doing a bit of research and I need some opinions (please!)

I would like to know, based on personal experience, knowledge, etc....can twins be conceived in the following way:

- taking folic acid

- on a whole-milk dairy diet

- eating yams/sweet potatoes/avocados

- are 35 + yrs old.

I would like to know...is it that you should do this a year, two, three prior to conception? I know folic acid is recommended for all women...do you need to do this years prior to conception or during the time you're attempting to conceive? Or, can you start taking this daily YEARS prio to conception? Folic acid is recommemnded to take if you want to stay as fertile as possible. And there are very little side-effects to taking 400 mg a day (plus whatever in cereals and vegetables.) It's water-based which means it leaves the body quickly.

Same thing with eating yams/whole-milk diet - is this a theory that says "women who ate all their lives" or just prior to conceiving?

I just would like some opinions...I'm actually 35 yrs old, I would like children when the time is right....I just found it interesting, would this be possible?

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-27-2012 - 1:45pm
Hi there :-)
Honestly, there will be no guarantees in the world of multiples, some of us just drop extra eggs each month (surprise on me hah) some are identical with very limited genetic research showing anything beyond an amazing fluke, some are fertility treatments/meds. I'm sure someone somewhere conceived twins using all of the above but the numbers are likely so much smaller than the rest of the "ways" that I'm not sure we'll be much help. I'm sorry. :-/

To be 100% honest with you, as much as I adore my twins, I wouldn't wish the pregnancy on my worst enemy and I had a picture perfect pregnancy. Just off the bat you raise your risk of having a premature baby with health complications. Maternal fatality rates increase. Medical interventions go through the roof. Twins are an incredible blessing but I personally can't wrap my brain around trying to have a riskier pregnancy, kwim? Studies have shown that spontaneous twins fare better than those induced by treatments, I would imagine that goes for the "holistic" methods as well.

Good luck on your journey TTC. :-)
Photobucket

Community Leader
Thu, 09-27-2012 - 5:25pm

1)  Folic Acid is great for all pregnancies and should be taken prior to pregnancy while TTC.

2) Whole milk and veggies are a great way to stay healthy, pregnant or not.

3)  Being older can increase the chances of releasing more eggs and therefore increase the chance of multiples.

There's no guarantee for Twins or more..   even fertility treatments, like IVF, can't guarantee that all the eggs will survive.

Good luck with your research Athena and goodluck when you TTC.

Wendy

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-28-2012 - 9:49pm
Sorry Athena, so far to date I haven't heard of anyone here conceiving twins using the methods you mentioned. Good luck on your journey. :-)
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-06-2012 - 1:13am