Sick coworker

iVillage Member
Sick coworker
Wed, 09-26-2012 - 8:17pm
I'm a little worried about a coworker that has been pretty sick lately. I of course am worried about her health, but also about it spreading to me and my baby. She has a mother that has been in a nursing home and pretty sure she caught something there. Her doc put her on antibiotics, but I'm worried about myself. She had to leave 3 times yesterday to use the restroom. She had diarrhea and was vomiting at the same time. And this has happened quite a few times lately. My other coworker reported it to our boss because we were worried. Well she found out today and is SOOO mad at us. Did we do the right thing by reporting it? We don't know what she had and her doc says she's not contagious because she's on antibiotics. Well,bwe were around her before she was. Praying we don't get it:smileysad: I feel bad though:smileysad:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-26-2012 - 8:19pm
Also, the reason we did speak up was because when she kept leaving yesterday I told her to go home, and she refused. Said she would get in trouble for leaving! Ok, so chance spreading it to me and all of our patients that we see everyday. Sorry, guess this is more of a vent!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-26-2012 - 10:29pm

Holy cow I'd be pissed!  And I am a quiet type of girl :smileyhappy:  So I think you did the right thing.  First of all your immune system is very vulnerable right now being pregnant, but second even if you weren't pregnant who wants to get diarrhea and vomiting!?!  Anyways my opinion is you did the right thing.  Did your boss make her leave?  I hope something came of it.

Collyn 9 mo siggy
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-27-2012 - 9:44am
At the firm I used to work at, we were required to report illnesses to HR. For example, this one women was really sick for a few days but didn't want to go home because she didn't want to use her vacation time and someone reported her. Companies don't want to risk half of their employees getting sick when one person is being careless, so I think you did the right thing! I wouldn't feel bad because, if she was in your shoes, I'm sure she would have done the same thing. We have to look out for ourselves! In my opinion, if you go to the doctor for an illness, you should be required to provide a note to HR stating when you can return to work, if contagious. Sort of like when you go back to work after pregnancy, you need the note from your doc stating it's okay!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-27-2012 - 10:05am
You did the right thing, and you shouldn't feel bad about it. I seriously doubt that her doctor really said she wasn't contagious because she had antibiotics if she was still vomiting and had diarrhea. Every single doctor I've ever seen has said that for some infections you may not be contagious after being on the antibiotic for 24 hours BUT that if you are still spewing bodily fluids everywhere, you need to stay home. That's common sense. I understand that many employers have fairly strict sick time policies, but that doesn't mean people should come to work while they're sick. It means they should get themselves to a doctor and that the employer should accept a doctor's excuse without any type of prejudice against the employee. Sure, it sucks to have to go to a doctor for a cold, but in lieu of a policy that accepts any visible sign of illness as enough of an excuse to stay away, that's what has to happen.